Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too Late to Fix Things?

Default Too Late to Fix Things?

So its been a while, I had (still having) problems with thrush. Was on the oral and the paste medicines for it. I clean my nipples twice a day with vinegar and water and apply the paste but still have the itchy pain. So I guess I'm going to have to call my doc and see if they'll call in another prescription for the oral medicine.

I'm starting to freak out a little bit though- I know a lot of moms out there have had A LOT of problems and kept up with BFing. My DS is 2 months old and we've kept going strong (with the stinking nipple shield that makes me hate the LC that gave it too me) through the ouch- and most of the time it makes me say some not so nice words and I'm sure my LO will haunt me with them at family gatherings one day.

Are we too far out to correct his latch? He's still quite small, 9lbs, but his doctor is happy with his weight gain so I'm okay with my kiddo being a shorty! But he just won't latch deep, he slides right off the nipple shield.

One of the things that was suggested to me was to switch to Breastflow bottles, because I do let the hubby give him one bottle a night, they both really enjoy that time. Has anyone tried this? Tonight was the first time we attempted and it was kinda cool to adjust his latch and make him open his little mouth wide, but the nipple on the BreastFlow may be more breast like but the real thing is bigger then his head so there is a bit of a difference!

Should I just keep practicing? I can *sometimes* get him to latch without the nipple shield if we're skin to skin. I'd like to drop it because I think its really a big factor in his shallow latch but I could be super wrong. He's so strong and well off now that I know he's getting what he needs bfing, its just I'd like to make it bearable for me to keep it up!

Thanks ladies!

(hehe, he's also started going "AHHH" when I do to get him to open his mouth, but he does the sound while grinning, not opening his mouth. Super entertaining!)
    Mommy to Eddie (2/22/11)

We started at 4.9lbs and now are at 16.5lbs! With lots of love, breast feeding and a little help from formula he's catching up fast!

Default Re: Too Late to Fix Things?

I don't think it's too late! I am working on weaning too & earlier today googled it. Came across some good forums from the past that gave me hope!

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=43640
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=92255

I think if you're going to use a bottle, you should use Breastflow. My LO has a really hard time drinking out of a regular bottle because it flows so freely, but he really took to the Breasrflow brand, so I know there's a big difference.

Could the sheild be causing the nipple itching pain? Are you cleaning the sheild to keep it from reinfecting you?

Oh, there's definitely still plenty of hope! I know a lot of people say "Oh, everything gets good at 6 weeks"- but for some of us it takes longer than that. With my first, nursing didn't become easy until around 6 months. A lot of that was because of her teeny-tiny mouth- she just could not get a good latch until she grew.

Thank you ladies!

@sfootloser- Thanks for the links! I'm glad you had success with the BreastFlow too, I've been getting a lot of mixed info about them!

@juno- Yeah, thought of it, part of the reason I hate the stupid thing. I've started washing it with soap and water then putting it in hot water with vinegar. I just want to get rid of it, such a hassle, especially in public!

I'll keep at it, its definitely been more of a job then I thought it'd be. And with our rocky start its been one step forward three back! Thank you!!
    Mommy to Eddie (2/22/11)

We started at 4.9lbs and now are at 16.5lbs! With lots of love, breast feeding and a little help from formula he's catching up fast!