Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cold remedies for baby :(

Default Cold remedies for baby :(

Ok...so I'm over it now and he's got it! It's so sad when he coughs- his little tongue sticks out and he hacks away for a few seconds and then tears roll down his face...

He's not at all hungry (he only nursed a total of 20 minutes since 6am this morning and it's after 10pm now.)
    He's stuffy- so I squirted his nose with some saline and sucked it out with the bulb a few minutes later- didn't get much back out.

No fever. Just general malaise with a dry-ish cough and a stuffy nose and lots of crying (I'm just sure he's trying to say "what the eff is going on mama?!?!")

So- does anyone treat their infants with anything? Vicks works wonders for me and Mohamed, but now I'm paranoid about it. I used to rub it into Mohamed's chest with a massage type motion and he loved it and it cleared us both up!

I hope it doesn't get any worse, but I want to be prepared if it does! (It lasted almost a week for me).

Are our only options steam bath and saline? My guess is yes, but I'm hoping I'm wrong!
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Default Re: Cold remedies for baby :(

go to www.nosefrida.com you can buy a nasal aspirator very cheap and is really really good. Try to suction before nursing.
    It worked for my little one..
    hope this helps.

Breastmilk up the nose and a good steam always worked pretty good for us. Although you've got to keep doing it.
    I'd use the bulb syringe to squirt a little up his nose and then let it sit for a few minutes to loosen stuff up. Since it's a live substance it does a pretty good job of thinning things out. Unlike saline that just gets stuff wet/loose.

If you've got a bathroom with a window that would be good, steam and cool air together work better.

Hope your LO feels better soon!!

I know what you mean! We have been battling with the Flu for a week now! What I do for her is I use the bulb and then use the saline drops then use the bulb again. This is good before she nurses! It is worse at night so I will give her a vapor bath, rub vapor rub on her chest then use the bulb and drops before bed time.

I know how hard and upsetting it is when you lo is miserable I can't wait for mine to get better! Hang in there there is a end
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

We do the humidifier, BM in the nose, and we raise the head of our bed so it is easier for him to breathe. Good luck mama!

And baby vicks should be fine, just not regular vicks. The ingredients are completely different.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    We do the humidifier, BM in the nose, and we raise the head of our bed so it is easier for him to breathe. Good luck mama!

And baby vicks should be fine, just not regular vicks. The ingredients are completely different.
    this is our approach exactly.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

my LO had her first cold at exactly the same age, and BM in the nose worked well for us too. I would nurse her in a steamy shower, and used eucalyptus oil instead of Vick's. Get Eucalyptus Radiata (there are other types that aren't quite the same), put a couple of drops in some olive oil or some other carrier oil, and rub it on the chest. Good luck!

Breast milk in the nose means inside the nose or apply on top of the nose. Can we apply vicks for 3 months old baby

BM inside the nose. Just squirt a little up there, it loosens things up.

And only Baby Vicks. The regular adult one has camphor compounds that have been linked to liver damage in babies IIRC. Baby Vicks is milder, and uses essential oils. Some people have luck putting it on lo's feet and then putting socks over for bed.

Hope your baby feels better soon.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

So sorry your baby isn't feeling well. Yep, there isn't much you can do for a cold with a baby that young. Breastfeeding is the best thing to help baby get through this. Saline drops (or plain breastmilk drops is perfect, if there's no thrush going around, etc.) and nursing in the bathroom with the hot water running so it can steam up the mirrors, etc. The steam & breastmilk in baby's nose will help clear passages so he can nurse easier (since some babies yr still can't breath through their mouth while nursing, even for some one year olds). Just in case, you can easily make your own saline... Pinch of salt (no more than one-quarter teaspoon) in an eight-ounce glass of warm tap water.

(With older ones, sometimes teaching them how to blow their nose... sometimes saying it's similar to blowing out birthday candles... just through your nose, can be helpful.)

A nasal bulb syringe is the perfect tool to help clear a baby's nose when they're suffering from nasal congestion. If you're not exactly sure how to, a quick call to your ped can be helpful.

Humidifiers closer to where baby sleeps and keeping their little heads more upright may be helpful, too.

Oh, and teething can sometimes cause congestion and similar (mild) cold symptoms. Although this is the season for colds, you may want to check the types of food being eaten, too.

Although there is a very small chance babies can react negatively towards vapor rubs like Vicks Baby Rub, you may want to read up some more, just in case.

http://askdrsears.com/html/8/T081000.asp
    COUGHS, COLDS, AND SINUS INFECTIONS

Feel better soon!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader