Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to pick up baby to feed after sleep ?

Default when to pick up baby to feed after sleep ?

quick question. My LO is 5 weeks and near the end of her sleep (well, I'm assuming it's the end of her sleep b/c she doesn't do it at the beginning or middle) she'll start grunting or groaning or cooing and letting out a little screech but then settle down to sleep again.

Do I wait for her to wake up fully before feeding her or should I grab her when she's kinda squirming around for those few minutes? She can do this for up to an hour before she really wakes up, so at the same time, I don't want to get her prematurely either.

Thanks ladies!

Default Re: when to pick up baby to feed after sleep ?

This is what I did. If I was already awake and ready to tend to the baby I would get him/her. If my baby had a long sleep and I knew that once he/she would wake they would be so mad, I would go ahead and feed. BUT if I was still sleeping or I had to take a quick shower I wouldn’t. After about 3 months old I really tried to stretch out the sleeping times. I also co-slept with all my of children so I tried to stretch out my sleeping time in the morning. That’s the time all my kids slept the best, SOmetimes the baby has a period of sleep thats just not so deep and they root around to look for something to suck on. Its really up to you mama
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

crying is a late feeding cue...

MAybe this would help?

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/...video_old.html

look down twards the middle of the page for hungar cues

DS used to do this. It was either hunger or a wet diaper. If its interfering with your sleep, I say, just go and pick her up. Otherwise just let her sleep. Babies do have brief-awakenings and they need to learn how to fall back asleep from them. The last thing you want is everytime the baby makes a noise, you pick her up, its just going to reinforce her wakening and I know with DD we did that and she ended up waking every hour because of it.

In the middle of the night I'd always change DS' diaper first, then feed him. Sometimes if I fed him first, he wouldn't nurse well.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; March 6th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cookie View Post
    quick question. My LO is 5 weeks and near the end of her sleep (well, I'm assuming it's the end of her sleep b/c she doesn't do it at the beginning or middle) she'll start grunting or groaning or cooing and letting out a little screech but then settle down to sleep again.

Do I wait for her to wake up fully before feeding her or should I grab her when she's kinda squirming around for those few minutes? She can do this for up to an hour before she really wakes up, so at the same time, I don't want to get her prematurely either.

Thanks ladies!
    Congrats on your new little baby! This is a great question that many new mothers have also asked. Generally, if baby is gaining weight well, nursing efficiently, and was full-term, then allowing baby to continue to sleep is just fine. She sounds like she could be having a little bowel movement?? So cute... I remember those days! If it's at night and she hasn't had a bowel movement that you know of, there's no need to change her diaper. Let her sleep, especially if she doesn't seem uncomfortable, in pain or is crying. Newborns make so many different kinds of noises. Soon enough, her sleeping patterns will change with a new developmental stage.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader