Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for day care

Default Preparing for day care

I am going back to work on April 27th and my LO will be almost 9 mths old. She'll do 3 days a week from 8am to 4pm. So far she has been fed mainly breast milk with formula top ups. My milk supply seems to have dwindled recently so she gets about 10oz formula a day now. She takes all her feeds from me - even the bottles and sometimes will only have the bottle when she can also comfort suck at the breast in between taking gulps of milk from the bottle.

Anyhow, this leads me to wonder how she'll cope at day care and what I can do to smooth the way. Also how can I keep up my supply.

My husband will take her and bring her home as the child care is at his work place (I wish I worked there too as I could go over and BF during breaks but I work in another city!). So I'll be leaving home at 7am and getting back at 6pm with 3hr commute. My workplace has no where to pump even the toilets are individual and don't have a communal wash area/changing room. I take the train so can't retreat to a car. I work for a small start-up company in a shared facility so I can't really demand anything as I know there just isn't the infrastructure to provide it. So what are the chances of being able to breast feed evening and night (I'm happy to do that as I can feed and sleep ) and keep up what supply I still have?

Finally what about routine? My LO has no routine at all. Somedays she'll sleep 3 hr from around 10 am and other days (more often) she'll just take a couple of 30min naps and it takes about an hour of feeding/comfort sucking to get her down for even those. I'm worried that she'll just be left to CIO or she won't get any sleep at all and be equally as upset.

Sorry so many questions...any advice would be appreciated.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Default Re: Preparing for day care

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Day care is hard at first first off the sleep issue. I was nervous as well that Max would be left to CIO, but overall you have to trust that you've chosen a provider with whom you are confident this will not happen. Do you trust your provider? Did you research them enough? Overall it's also just not practicle to let a baby scream for that long it disrupts the other kids! MY LO always goes down for DC way easier and naps in a predictable pattern, but not with me!

Anyway as far as the supply issue; do you own a double electric pump? Even though your supply may be okay at night and on weekends I don't understand why if necessary you can't pump in the bathroom? In the stall with the battery pack? It's not ideal, but better than nothing. I'd for sure either do that or get good at hand expressing. Also have you been working on building up your supply by pumping after each feeding (as much as possible?) that's what I would do as well b/c usually your supply dips at about 10 months and pumping will help protect it while you are at work and not able to nurse.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for the bump imma2nonstopaa and thank you for your reply Jenna562.

I do wish that I didn't have to do the day care thing but I have no option. At least the nursery has high recommendations but when it comes to your own child, even that doesn't completely put your mind at rest. One good feature of this place is that they have 4 practice days before you start where you stay in with your child for 2 of those days and leave for the next 2. They are sympathetic to things like cloth diapering and BLS. I guess would not expect them to leave her to CIO but at the same time, I know when I have on 2 occasions left her with DH (who is very good with her and she adores him) when she got tired or just needed comfort, he had to work very hard to console her. Maybe I've let her use my boobs for comfort too much and not worked at other techniques but with low supply, I've always felt that if she's willing to latch, I should let her. I'm hoping that in the different environment, she'll be distracted by other things.

As for the pumping issue. I must admit that after my supply dipped (due to an infection) I didn't get back into pumping because I was shattered and I guess emotionally not ready to go back to all the hard work that got my supply to near exclusive. I've got another infection now but once I feel better, I'll do as you suggest to improve things before I even go back. As for pumping in the toilet stall. I'm really not keen. I don't think that they are hygenic enough (they are unisex) and I wouldn't prepare myself a sandwich in there. I've got a double pump and also got pretty good at hand expression. Perhaps if I scout around I'll find somewhere private.

The only thing with the stall is I was suggesting it if all else fails and if you feel you could always dump the milk, but the pumping would increase supply (or maintain it). Is there ever an unused office yopu could use with some privacy? If someone is at lunch or in a meeting?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm afraid that if you don't find someway to pump at least once maybe more during the days you work taht you will lose your supply completely.

what about pumping under a nursing cover? I know it's not ideal but I've pumped in a room full of other women before and just pulled my shirt down over the horns.... If that was all I had now, and my son was 9 months, I would totally sit at my desk and pump under a cover, maybe a homemade one that was more like a poncho? a big circle with a hole in the middle for my head, and everything else was covered....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I think that my only option is to pump and dump (or perhaps if I feel that I have been clean enough, keep it) in the toilet stall. I work at a small outpost in a mixed open plan office. There are no other offices, the team all works together. The blinds at the window are only tinted so you can be seen from a busy walkway. The one meeting room has the same problem. I should explain that I am a scientist and most of the company work goes on in the laboratory area where I definitely wouldn't be able to (or want to) pump although there are ideal little rooms in that bit. Much less is done in the office and therefore those facilities are rather meagre. Our facilities are on the edge of a university campus which I do use too so maybe I could find a room there though I've tried to find out whether they have a nursing/lactation room without success.

Thank you for your suggestions

sss good luck mama and keep us updated, at least pump and possibly dump as Jenna mentioned, it'll help keep your supply up, after a few months you won't have to worry at all about this....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Definitely look into the University that you are nearby. They probably have at least one lactation room, and though it may be a hike, pumping atleast once a day would definitely be worth it. Bigger institutions have many more options. I work at a hospital associated with a big state university, and there are literally 20 options for lactation stations spread around the campus, including options for using hospital grade pumps. If you keep thinking creatively, I'm sure you'll figure something out. Also, most kids are really adaptable. Everytime I worry about a transition for my LO, I realize in hindsight that it was harder on me than it was on him. Hang in there!!

I agree with the plan to at least pump and dump to help your supply level.

i also wanted to add that the daycare workers probably have more experience at soothing a crying baby than your dh. If he is like my dh, he was not around babies until he had his own.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.