Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 18 months approaching-need help to wean!

Default 18 months approaching-need help to wean!

My DD is 17 months old. I am proud to say I've nursed her for over a year but now I want to wean her. (the reasons are more selfish but 18 months is AWESOME in my opinion)

I've been reading a lot of posts and the book "How Weaning Happens", but I have no confidence that she's going to wean smoothly. It's like she's "addicted".

She still night nurses. (doesn't help that we co-sleep half the night) When she's in bed with us, she wakes up frequently and cries and cries if I don't nurse her. It's keeping my husband up and driving me crazy.

We're attempting this: put her in the crib like usual at 8pm. When she wakes up for the first time (usually around 11:30pm), I'll nurse her and then my DH will put her back in the crib. If I try to do this, she cries and cries.

We're working on stopping co-sleeping. Which is hard enough....

But as far as the actually wanting to wean, she's very scheduled. She nurses round the clock in the middle of the night. Doesn't nurse in the morning before daycare. Drinks cow's milk at daycare. But once we're home, she wants to nurse immediantly. Then maybe once or twice more before bedtime.

We've tried distraction but she's just keeps coming back. If I even offer her a sippy of cow's milk, she literally THROWS it across the room.

Quite frankly, I just want to be done nursing. 18 months is enough for me. I'm very proud of myself for doing it so long.

I just need some advice on what to do....where to start? HELP!

She turns 18 months on the 18th....that's about when I want to stop. So less than two weeks...well maybe by the end of the month!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: 18 months approaching-need help to wean!

My dd is 19 months old and there are days when I'm feeling like I want to be done with it, but not enough for me to do anything about it. My first weaned at 16.5 months during my pregnancy for little sis. I have no personal experience with weaning from the Mom's end.

However, I would like to congratulate you on your huge success! You are in the minority and I know how proud you feel.

My only advice would be gently/slowly. Knock out a feeding here and there. I would night-wean first. Use Jay Gordon's night weaning method. If you can hang on long enough to knock out a session every couple of weeks, that will really help your supply slowly back down and be easier for all involved.

I did night wean both of mine and found that by eliminating the nursing session the first time they woke up just happened to eliminate all subsequent night nursing all on its own.

Good luck.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks! I'm going to look up how to night wean right now!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Congrats on making it 18 months!!! That is a huge milestone!!!

I am in the same boat as you, except my daughter is almost 22 months. I am hoping to be done around her second birthday, so that gives us two months to prepare.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Night weaning night #1: not so good. Nursed her for a short minute right before bedtime. She slept from 8pm until 3:40am (which is rare)

But then I tried to only nurse her for a tiny bit. She screamed and cried. Would settle down for a few minutes with her paci and look like she was going back to sleep, but then wake up again looking for the boob. Very frustrating. Hubby ran into the spare room....

Ugh...

But I WAS pleased she slept so long through the night.
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae