Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: formula - breast combination ?

Default formula - breast combination ?

hi - i am wondering about formula milk (aggh!)

I have bf my baby for 7 months and introduced solid food at 5 months shes doing great - after a couple of discussions with people I am wondering about switching to formula (although initially I was against the idea I am thinking about returning to work etc and may be coming round to the idea)
    I have not had much success with pumping my breast milk - just wondered is it possible to combine formula while I'm out and then bf when I'm home.
    Also which formula is good ? I don't know anything about it and thought you guys might have some helpful tips.

also - is my baby spoiled if she wont sleep in her cot ? she will only sleep when very close to me and in our bed.

finally - I was also told that she should be sleeping through the night by now but she is still waking up for a couple of feeds -

thanks in advance

Default Re: formula - breast combination ?

after a couple of discussions with people I am wondering about switching to formula
    May I ask what was said that you found convincing? There may be some counter-arguments.

I have not had much success with pumping my breast milk
    What sort of pump do you have? Not all pumps are created equal, and your difficulties with pumping may stem from having the wrong pump. In general, manual pumps are the least effective. Double electric pumps are the next step up, but they are frequently not powerful enough, and there's a wide range of effectiveness, with smaller models like the Ameda Purely-Yours at the bottom end and things like the Medela Pump-in-Style at the top. At the very top end of the spectrum are hospital-grade pumps, which are generally available as rentals.

Also, how many times have you tried to pump? Pumping is a learned skill, and sometimes you need to do it quiet a number of times before you figure out how to get the most milk.

just wondered is it possible to combine formula while I'm out and then bf when I'm home.
    Yes, absolutely. It's called combination feeding and many moms do it successfully.

also - is my baby spoiled if she wont sleep in her cot ? she will only sleep when very close to me and in our bed.
    No, she is absolutely not spoiled!!! You cannot spoil a baby. It's only in the last 100 years or so that people in the developed world have gotten it into their minds that babies should sleep alone. Throughout most of human history, and all over the world today, babies and young children sleep together with other human beings- usually their parents or siblings. It does not spoil them. Why would it?

finally - I was also told that she should be sleeping through the night by now but she is still waking up for a couple of feeds -
    Many- I'm willing to bet that it's most- breastfed babies are still nursing at night at 7 months of age. Is the night-nursing a problem for you? If it's not, there's no reason to change things. Your child will eventually grow out of the night-nursing, but when that will happen is anyone's guess. Maybe she'll stop tomorrow. Maybe next month, or next year, or 2 years from now. I think you can be sure she'll be done with it by the time she's 4.

But if the night-nursing is a problem for you- and it is for a lot of tired moms- then there are ways to gently encourage longer stretches of nursing-free sleep. I highly recommend Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution, which is full of suggestions to help your baby sleep more independently without resorting to harsh cry-it-out methods.

ETA: I can't recommend a specific formula- I think it's against the forum guidelines (?), and also I haven't the least idea how to separate the marketing from the real information about formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks so much you have confirmed many of my feelings - I know it sounds silly but we have talked about how the baby animals are always close to their mums - lambs sleep cuddled up to their mums not a way off on their own.

I am going to continue with the breast feeding and not go for the formula as I was considering....for a while longer anyway & see how i get on

When I went back to work my daughter was taking breastmilk from a bottle. I found that going back to work and not being with her made it easier to pump. I never get much at home, but I get plenty at work. (I also use a Symphony pump by Medela which may make the difference.) At about 5 mths when she realized the sitter wasn't going to nurse her, my daughter began refusing the bottle and since has taken breastmilk from a cup only. (Fine by me it saved the transition from bottle to cup) We tryed formula on several occasions, she refused that too. As far as the sleeping with you is concerned. I myself do not allow her to sleep with me. The reason being is that I allowed it with my son and he did not sleep through the night until he was 4 and after many attempts to get him to sleep in his own bed, I tryed everything from a radio to a television to get him to sleep in his own bed. Now he is 9 and can't sleep without the tv on. I don't want to go through that again when she does fine in her crib now. (I'm not fixing something that's not broke) However, that's a personal choice to make my life simpler and I absolutely don't think allowing your child to sleep with you is spoiling your baby. I too agree that you can't spoil a baby. Also, my daughter is 10 mths and still doesn't sleep through the night. Unfortunately, I don't think she is waking up only because she's hungry. Actually, I know she's not. She is getting her adnoids removed next week due to sleep apnea and snoring, but my son too woke up several times a night and he did wake up to eat. He did that about 2-3 times a night until we were done nursing. After that he continued to wake up for other issues, but you shouldn't have that problem. I know many moms that feed their babies formula at bedtime to get them to sleep longer though the night. I've never done it, but it's an option. Every child is different you just have to do what's best for you and your baby. Good luck!