Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another foremilk/oversupply question

Default Another foremilk/oversupply question

I've read through some of the previous posts, and I can't find a question quite like mine.

My daughter is 4 months old. I used to have an over-active letdown. I followed the advice of only feeding on one side per session, and now the spraying has gone away. I am still feeding just one side per session because she seems to get plenty of milk that way.

I have been back at work for 4 weeks now. My daughter nurses in the morning, then gets three bottles (4-5 ounces each) at daycare. Then she nurses once when we get home in the evening and again before bed. She sleeps through the night.

I pump 2 or 3 times a day at work. I have noticed that I have a LOT of foremilk. It is almost clear when it starts coming out, and I can pump an ounce or more before it really becomes "milky." Is this normal? I am concerned that my daughter might be getting too much foremilk.

She is a happy baby; she doesn't seem fussy or uncomfortable. However, her pooping pattern is weird. She won't poop for 4-5 days, then she will poop 3-4 times a day for a couple of days. When she finally poops after a break, the first one is the consistency of peanut butter. Then she will have two green, loose, runny poops. Then a few normal mustardy poops before she stops for a few days.

Can this pooping pattern be related to getting too much foremilk? She also spits up a lot, and the spit-up is often clear, so I think it's the foremilk. Her doctor doesn't think it's reflux; she is a "happy spitter."

ETA: Forgot to mention that she is ALWAYS gassy! I can't believe how much this baby farts.
    Last edited by @llli*megmul; February 11th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: Another foremilk/oversupply question

I can relate to few of the things you are having, my daughter is on breast milk (BM), but she was premature so i put 1 oz of formula in every 3 oz of BM. I had toooo much milk supply, up to 80 oz a day, i am still pumping (she is 5 months now), she nurses few times a day. I used to get up to 20 to 25 mls before the hind milk come out, but i could still get about 4 extra oz from each breast, the nurses told me to throw away the foremilk or save it later for her cereal when she gets solids ( now I give her the whole thing). I am not sure what the cause for too much foremilk is, it could be drinking too much water because when I do not drink too much water i get the hind milk faster. My daughter is always gassy....more than usual, not sure why, i avoid any foods that make me gassy, i even drink some herbs that prevent gas, but she still gets it. She also does not poop for 5-6 days, she poops twice a day and then she is done. I would not worry about the color or consistency, unless it is tooo runny, black or red or white in color, any other color is fine.

The foremilk you are pumping seems like a normal amount to me, but do you double pump at work, or just pump one side? I have heard of moms with OS issues that would get there supply under control only to have problems once they return to work due to pumping both sides at a time. If you are nursing on only one side at a time, a lot of moms keep there supply under control by only pumping one side at a time. I think it is called block pumping? Do you think you would be pumping enough milk for baby by pumping only one side per session?
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chelseamom View Post
    The foremilk you are pumping seems like a normal amount to me, but do you double pump at work, or just pump one side? I have heard of moms with OS issues that would get there supply under control only to have problems once they return to work due to pumping both sides at a time. If you are nursing on only one side at a time, a lot of moms keep there supply under control by only pumping one side at a time. I think it is called block pumping? Do you think you would be pumping enough milk for baby by pumping only one side per session?
    I agree completely with this. I had major oversupply issues with my oldest son, and it was partially due to me double pumping while I was at work when ds only nursed from one breast when we were together. I had such oversupply, that I could pump for my whole 20 minute break at work and still not be done pumping...and get 5-6 ounces from one breast and 3-4 from the other, and have to stop even though milk was still flowing out because my break was over. We realized after awhile and tons of green runny explosive poops from ds, that he really was getting too much foremilk in his bottles.

Now I actually ended up becoming a sahm right about that time, and didn't pump again and it all cleared up. If I couldn't have made that change though, I would've done this:

1. Pumped just one breast per pumping session to match pumping to how baby actually nursed.

2. Pumped for a longer time to completely empty the breast during the pumping session, even if it meant going to my boss and explaining that I needed longer breaks.

3. Gotten a larger container to attach to the breastpump since 4 ounces wasn't enough per side. I think it would've been easier to pump all of the contents of one breast into one container so the foremilk and hindmilk would more evenly distribute, and then seperate that into small containers for freezing once I got home at night. I noticed that many times, some of the 4 oz. storage bottles were mostly foremilk and had little hindmilk and it was tough to remember which bottles to mix together.

HTH!

Hi I had a very similar situation. I was pumping probably 5 oz. of foremilk alone!! I had a gassy baby too and knew this wouldn't be good. So at the end of the day I would mix my bottles to have a good ratio of fore/hindmilk. Maybe half and half. I first contemplated single(block) pumping, but after awhile, my supply regulated to where I now HAVE to double pump to get enough.
    I think the poops and spit up/gas are pretty common for that age. My LO was just like yours, but he has eventually gotten less gassy and spits up less.

I had such oversupply, that I could pump for my whole 20 minute break at work and still not be done pumping...and get 5-6 ounces from one breast and 3-4 from the other, and have to stop even though milk was still flowing out because my break was over.
    Oh.....so this is NOT normal? I can pump and pump forever. I get a second letdown after about 20 minutes, so I usually end up switching off the pump when milk is still spraying.

OK, I guess I really have to get this under control. I had resisted the idea of pumping only one side, because I will have to add a third pumping session to mimic the 3 bottles she gets at daycare. I will suck it up and start it next week.

Question: If I only pump one boob, won't the other one become totally engorged with foremilk? Then when I pump that one, I won't get much hind milk.

How long does it usually take supply to change? More than a couple of days?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*megmul View Post
    Oh.....so this is NOT normal? I can pump and pump forever. I get a second letdown after about 20 minutes, so I usually end up switching off the pump when milk is still spraying.

OK, I guess I really have to get this under control. I had resisted the idea of pumping only one side, because I will have to add a third pumping session to mimic the 3 bottles she gets at daycare. I will suck it up and start it next week.

Question: If I only pump one boob, won't the other one become totally engorged with foremilk? Then when I pump that one, I won't get much hind milk.

How long does it usually take supply to change? More than a couple of days?

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

My best advice would be to try to pump at the times when baby would be getting a bottle. That can be difficult, but it's the easiest way to regulate your supply to what baby needs. If you can't do that, then get as close as you possibly can, and try to squeeze in an extra pumping session in the evening or in the morning or something in order to have enough breastmilk during the week.

I'm assuming that when baby nurses directly at the breast when you're together, that you aren't pumping that other breast, right? If so, then I would guess that you might have some extra fullness in one breast between pumping sessions, but that it shouldn't take long for that to clear up and your supply to regulate. You can pump or hand express just a little bit to ease the fullness until your breasts get used to making less milk and regulate to only one per pumping session.

When you are pumping just one breast, I would probably try to pump that breast until it's mostly empty to get as much hindmilk out as possible. Of course the breast isn't ever fully empty, but you should be able to get to the point where milk is just barely coming out.

As far as how long this could take, it's probably going to take more than a couple of days. Maybe a week or 2? However, if you're nursing directly from just one breast at a time and aren't doing any other pumping when you're with baby right now (and your comfortable and not engorged), then you could see things start to change more quickly simply because your supply is already regulated on the weekends and at night.

OK, here is what I did:

On Saturday, I did two feedings on each side before switching sides. It took that much to empty a breast and get rid of all the foremilk. She eats six times a day, so I fed twice on the right, twice on the left, then once on the right and once on the left.

Sunday morning I was much less engorged and there wasn't so much foremilk. So it worked. I fed one side per session, alternating all day long.

On Monday, I single-pumped at work for the first time. I did 3 pumpings to mimic her 3 bottles at daycare. I came up short about 2 ounces. I actually emptied a breast for the first time ever.

This morning (Tuesday), she had to feed from both sides in the morning. I hardly had any milk. I think she would have liked some more after emptying both sides.

So now my supply is too low. I just can't win. I can't seem to find a happy medium.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*megmul View Post
    OK, here is what I did:

On Saturday, I did two feedings on each side before switching sides. It took that much to empty a breast and get rid of all the foremilk. She eats six times a day, so I fed twice on the right, twice on the left, then once on the right and once on the left.

Sunday morning I was much less engorged and there wasn't so much foremilk. So it worked. I fed one side per session, alternating all day long.

On Monday, I single-pumped at work for the first time. I did 3 pumpings to mimic her 3 bottles at daycare. I came up short about 2 ounces. I actually emptied a breast for the first time ever.

This morning (Tuesday), she had to feed from both sides in the morning. I hardly had any milk. I think she would have liked some more after emptying both sides.

So now my supply is too low. I just can't win. I can't seem to find a happy medium.
    I think Block feeding may have lowered your supply a bit too much. Then, when you went to work on Monday, you didn't have quite enough breastmilk in just pumping from one breast. That's ok though, you can get your supply back up and I'm sure it won't take long at all.

If you have problems where baby nurses from both breasts and then seems to want more, just latch baby onto the first breast again and repeat as often as baby needs to. The breast is never fully empty, and is always producing milk, so by the time you finish breast #2, there should be a little something in breast #1 and so on. Since the breast works by supply and demand, baby "demanding" more from the breasts will just increase your supply. No worries, OK?

You will also get good results from nursing your dd more often. Nursing more often will increase your supply as well.

You may find that you need to fiddle around a bit with your pumping schedule at work, regarding whether or not you need to pump both breasts in order to figure out exactly what you need. You'll find the right level though.