Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Picky

Default Picky

I think I have a picky eater.

I'll start by explaining I'm no longer bfing due to a medical problem

So DS is 12 months old now.

He completely absolutely 100% refuses baby food in the jars... he hates it.

Pablum is is hit or miss, some days he will some he won't.

Right now he has 2 slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread and real fruit jam for breakfast, then usually some fruit like bananas and maybe some berries or chopped up grapes for lunch, then usually mashed vegetables for supper.. usually cooked white or sweet potatoes, peas, ect..

We are doing the BLS because of his absolute refusal for anything baby.. now, anything I'M eating, hes whole hog Except, of course, when I try eating baby food for him, to trick him. No way, he is TOO SMART.

I'm concerned because he might not be getting enough iron.. yet formula is iron fortified so one would think he was ok? He's down to two sippys of milk(about six ounces) and one at night(between four and six ounces) and I'm fine with that as hes maintaining a good weight even though he gains very slowly.. hes just not a big baby (hes about 19 and a half pounds)

I also need some ideas here, for what to feed him. Easy things I can pick up at the grocery store, things he will like.. what fruits and veggies are safe, or is everything safe at this point?

He eats three times a day, and I usually have cheerios out for him to graze on, although so far he just likes to make a big mess out of them

Some days it seems he exists on nothing.. but i will say for the days he doesn't actually eat much he seems to drink an extra sippy or two of juice, so i GUESS hes still getting calories.

I am just running out of ideas!
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Default Re: Picky

At this point Nolan eats pretty much everything that we eat...which is good in the sense that he has a wide range of choices and experiences with food, and then because we are so adamant about feeding him only the best (i.e. organic, healthy ingredients) we in turn eat better as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

If he's getting formula, I wouldn't worry about iron. Formula has plenty of it. And I also would not worry at all about his refusal to eat jarred baby food. Let him eat off your plate- it's a great way to model healthy eating habits, and 12 months, I think your kid can safely have anything you're eating.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you ladies
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

My DS also refuses baby food. He hates it! I can't say that I blame him. He wants to eat what ever I'm eating which is very easy for me. He loves yogurt though and will eat a lot of that. He also refuses a sippy cup and wants to only drink from my cup. I thought this was strange at first but it sure does save money and is a lot easier on me!!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11