Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vegetarian Babies?

Default Vegetarian Babies?

DS is not starting solids yet, but I was at the grocery store looking at the baby food the other day and it seems like the only foods they have with significant amounts of protein are meat. It was just veggies, fruit, and meat as far as the baby food goes.

I am a strict vegetarian and hope to raise DS as one as well (provided I can get that past DH, but that is another story... ). Has anyone raised a vegetarian baby? Should I just keep him bfing more to make sure he is getting enough protein, until he can have beans, soy, dairy, eggs, etc.? Will he get a balanced diet with just veggies, fruits, carbs, and breastmilk?

Thanks!
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

Default Re: Vegetarian Babies?

Your baby can have tofu, beans and other proteins at around 8 months, and breastmilk can certainly sustain him until then

Breastmilk should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year, and solids are generally for experimentation and getting use to eating. Solids become much more important after the year mark, but until then most of the nutrients come from breastmilk. So I don't think you will have any problems whatsoever if you don't introduce proteins until 8 months. And protein is protein - whether it comes from chicken or beans. Just be sure to offer iron rich foods as well, to complement - as I'm sure you already know, being a vegetarian yourself
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

DS is not a full veggie, he was until he was about 13 months. I made a lot of tofu, beans, and quinoa and different nut butters for protein. We were lucky that we had no allergies and could use these foods liberally
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi mama,
    It is great that you are already planning ahead so that you can make the best decision for your family regarding your LOs nutrition. You are already providing the best by breastfeeding.
    You have received some good protein suggestions already. Many moms find that they do not even need baby food and just provide their child with food from their plate. Many foods can be offered fresh in small pieces or mashed with a fork like avocado and bananas as they are soft. Some moms find that a "french fry" or "chip" shape works best. Other foods can be steamed until soft and offered like peaches, carrots, apples, peas, etc. Some raw fruits/vegs can be grated and given to baby like apples, carrots, pears. Most babies who start solids at or after 6 months do not need foods pureed or liquified. Baby's portion should be removed before spices are added at first until each has been introduced. Eating what the family eats makes baby feel included and also means less work for mom. Here is some information regarding food ideas and also raising a vegetarian child.
    www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug00p131.html
    I hope you will find it helpful. Also, as already mentioned, solids are for learning at this point. Breastmilk has everything your baby needs and should make up the bulk of LOs nutrition for at least the first year.
    Carrie
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLCarrie View Post
    Hi mama,
    It is great that you are already planning ahead so that you can make the best decision for your family regarding your LOs nutrition. You are already providing the best by breastfeeding.
    You have received some good protein suggestions already. Many moms find that they do not even need baby food and just provide their child with food from their plate. Many foods can be offered fresh in small pieces or mashed with a fork like avocado and bananas as they are soft. Some moms find that a "french fry" or "chip" shape works best. Other foods can be steamed until soft and offered like peaches, carrots, apples, peas, etc. Some raw fruits/vegs can be grated and given to baby like apples, carrots, pears. Most babies who start solids at or after 6 months do not need foods pureed or liquified. Baby's portion should be removed before spices are added at first until each has been introduced. Eating what the family eats makes baby feel included and also means less work for mom. Here is some information regarding food ideas and also raising a vegetarian child.
    www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug00p131.html
    I hope you will find it helpful. Also, as already mentioned, solids are for learning at this point. Breastmilk has everything your baby needs and should make up the bulk of LOs nutrition for at least the first year.
    this is what we did, I tried making my own puree's for about a week, then we moved on to BLS or BLW, there are tons of excellent threads here on the subject, my DS is 16mos bow and he eats whatever we eat, my MIL was astounded when she asked to 'feed' DS at about 9/10 months and I said well, he kind of does that for himself, but you can steam some veggies for him if you like, now he eats corn on the cob (albeit a small piece of cob)
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My husband and I are vegetarians, so we plan to raise our LO that way as well. I started giving him beans and quinoa around 9 months, and just added in lentils last week. As pps have mentioned, your milk has everything your LO needs at this point, and it will provide the core of his nutrition for a while.

Hope all goes well with your DS and DH.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!