Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bls?????

Question Bls?????

I love this idea. My son is not very interested in baby food. Most of the time he takes a few bites and then won't open his mouth at all. I did notice that when we are eating he looks very interested in our food. I have been giving him some but he tends to put it in his mouth and chew but never really swallows it. He kind of holds it in there for a long time. Does anybody have any experience with this. He's 9 months so it seems that by now he should be eating more than he is. I know my daughter was eating tons by now. Although I hate to compare them, but she is the only other experience I have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: Bls?????

Generally when Babies start BLS it takes a few months before the actually swallow anything. It is very normal for them to push is around their mouths and then push it back out. This means that they aren't ready to swallow yet. When using BLS you are really leaving your childs pace up to your child. You are trusting them to eat when they are ready. It's really very normal for them to experiment with taste and texture for months before they actually start to swallow. And even longer for them to figure out they "taste" with their tongue. And not until some point after the year point where they actually associate solid food with HUNGER vs. just some neat thing to explore the senses.
    So don't worry. If you are just getting started with this method, it may be a few months. If you want to give your child more exposure or more "practice"
    up the number of times a day you put food in from of him as well as the number of choices on his plate. By 9 months we were still at only two meals but both of those meals had 3-5 choices on each of those plates. But as far as portions go, we used the saucer from a cup and saucer set to put things on. So lots of variety, but not lots of volume. HTH!
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:06 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: Bls?????

Thanks so much for the advice. That makes total sense. I have been offering him food twice a day like you said. Yesterday we did bananas, strawberries and turkey. He squished the bananas and held the turkey in his mouth. So I'm glad you responded because I was wondering if maybe I needed to be doing something different. I really like the idea of letting them lead the way. Especially seems to be a good idea for babies like mine who don't really want the baby foods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11