Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8m old, solids aren't in the picture much

Default 8m old, solids aren't in the picture much

My son is 8 months now and has tried solids, but he doesnt eat the regulary, mayb eonce evry few days, if even that. He has decreased the number of nursing sesions, he is starting to show signs of wanting to walk, i.e. pulling himself up on things. I know milestones can inturpt nursing patterns, but I worry since he will go 4 or 5 hours with out nursing, or at least asking for it. Should I simply offer the breat more and forget solids for the time being? He is starting to thim a bit for his increased mobility.
    I'm a Renaissance loving mama to William, born June '08
    I'm going to college working on an associates degree, as well as preparing to move in with my boyfriend, who has become a loving father to my son

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~Rebecca West

Default Re: 8m old, solids aren't in the picture much

Hey Mama! Well, here's what *I* am doing... my lo is 9 months old. She nurses 5X day, and eats solids inbetween. Until they are a year old, solids are "extra"...if that makes sense. They should still be getting the milkies (this is what I've heard) My baby doesn't take in AS much milk now that she's on solids a few times a day, but I still offer it to her, 5x day.

Hope that helps, it's just what I've heard/read.

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Every baby really is so different! I hear some moms of 3-4 mo. olds who will say their babies just gobble up food - but then their are babies like yours and mine. Mine is 8 mo. and has no interest in being spoon fed. She will eat bites of certain types of food as long as she can put it in her mouth by herself. So far I've gotten her to eat bites of pasta, rice, mushed carrots, sweet potato, banana, and water melon. She'll also eat teething biscuits (which I'm not that crazy about), and rice cereal or cheerios. She hasn't decreased the numbers of times she's nursed, in fact she is waking up twice in the night instead of once, but like your lo she can go 4-5 hours without eating at certain points of the day. I think your baby sounds totally normal. I would offer to nurse more frequently, and 2-3 times a day put him in a high chair with a plastic spoon and a variety of safe/easy bite sized foods and let him play! HTH

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I hear ya, mama!! DD is only 6 mo. 1 wk., but I've offered solids several times and she wants nothing to do with them!! She is very happy with BM only for now, although she does not nurse as many times a day now (used to be about 10 times a day, now it is about 6-8, depending on how many times she eats at night). Maybe she is just becoming a more efficient drinker??

She is pooping about every other day as normal, so I haven't been worried about this.

My family and the doc are a little bummed that she isn't into solids yet, but I don't mind!! Less work for me!!
    Last edited by @llli*tspeegle09; March 1st, 2009 at 09:11 PM.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Thank you all for the input. It's nice to know that he is not alone like this.
    I'm a Renaissance loving mama to William, born June '08
    I'm going to college working on an associates degree, as well as preparing to move in with my boyfriend, who has become a loving father to my son

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~Rebecca West