Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: apples vs applesauce

Default apples vs applesauce

I was eating an apple today and my 7mo was looking at me with longing eyes...so I gave her half (cored and peeled). She absolutely loved it! I was worried that it was too much for her to chew up because it was a nice crunchy apple, and she's only had soft foods so far. She has 2 lower teeth and was able to eat a decent amount of the apple.
    She is pretty good at eating foods that I give her on a spoon, but loves to feed herself.
    At what point do I start to give her foods that arent mashed up?

Default Re: apples vs applesauce

some babies never have mashed or pureed foods Have you looked into Baby Led Solids?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Nolan has eaten apples and pears like that since about 8 months. He loves it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I started giving my son apples slices, unpeeled at 8 months. Before that he had watermelon, avacado and banana. Mostly watermelon. We did BLS. No purees.

Way too lazy for formula

thanks for the info! I'll keep going with the BLS...my LO really seems to like it! I'm just worried that she'll choke on big pieces of food because she gags sometimes when she bites off a piece. I know that technically she'll spit out the pieces that are too big for her to swallow, but it does worry me. Should I just let her keep going with large slices that she can hold or should I cut the food into really small pieces?

that's completely up to you and the level of comfort you feel. Taking a child CPR class REALLY helps with the nervousness. Personally, I do a mixture of big and small pieces. Softer foods like baked sweet potato I serve in tiny pieces that he can pick up (or rake up initially) whereas foods that are slightly more firm like a pear he has whole.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I used the the way bananas split in their seams as guideline. That was the size I felt comfortable with.(1 third of a banana) If you want to cut things smaller, the word in the guideline that says "chip" is British for "French Fry". So if you are feeling nervous, cutting things into things that are the size of french fries or even fry wedges should make you feel more comfortable. It was important to me that he was able to get his hand around things and still get them in his own mouth. I didn't feel like we could achieve that with little pieces. But if you use things that are french fry width, even if is doesn't come back up, it should go down fine.
    But gagging is a natural defense against choking. A couple of time he actually puked. But that was fine too. It's all part of learning how to deal with solids. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula