Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning at 10 months

Default Weaning at 10 months

My LO will be 10 months old on the 13. I informed his pediatrician that he has lost interest in nursing and in the bottle. She asked me how much BM he was getting and I told her that he was getting anywhere from 15-20oz of BM/day. Otherwise he eats three large solid foods and has two snacks perday. She told me this was fine and if I didn't think he was getting enough BM that I could give him other dairy products such as yogurt or cheese but not Cow's milk b/c he is still to young for it.

My question is....I use to at work at 9am and 11am to make up for the bottle he was eating in the morning. Well this whole week I have only been able to a 1oz bottle at both times ....come to find out, he gets watched by different people everyday, he isn't taking his bottle in the mornings...only when I get done working around noon for his nap and at around 4 for a "snack" and at 8 for his bedtime routine.

Should I continue pumping at work, or trying to, or just not worry about pumping?

I have a ton of BM in the freezer so I'm not going to run out...I"m new to this whole thing so I need some advice ladies!! Thanks for your help.
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

Default Re: Weaning at 10 months

Can you give us a little more info? What do you mean when you say he has lost interest in nursing? Does he still nurse at all or are you pumping and giving him bottles?

I think when my first lo was 10 mo (he's a toddler now) I nursed him in the a.m. before I went to work, he got two 6 oz. bottles at work (we gave him goat's milk by that time) and then he would nurse when I picked him up at 4ish, once in the evening, and I think before bed???

Personally, if I were only pumping 1 oz. for a bottle and there wasn't any way to increase my supply, I'd stop. If I could even pump 2 oz. at a session, I'd keep going. Åt least it could go in his food. JMHO

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

IF you have enough milk to get through and he is drinking less and you an still nurse fine while together in the AM, nights and weekends, I'd stop pumping. It's sounds like you are struggling and perhaps not doing it would make you that much FULLER for your 1st "hello" session in the evening.

Way too lazy for formula

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond...yes he still nurses in the morning and in the evening and at least once in the afternoon. But if I'm not w/him in the morning, I work part time 7am-1pm, then I pump to make up for the BM bottle that the sitter feeds him. I am quite frustrated b/c my goal was 1 year to breast feed and I feel if I'm not getting anything when I'm pumping then I'm not going to have enough and not make my goal. I only have about 10 bottles in the fridge...so that won't last me long. And I have to give him a bottle at night b/c I like to see that he is getting at least 5 oz and when he nurses at night he only gets about 4...at least that's how much I pump at night. I appreciate everyone's help...any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ozziesmama View Post
    And I have to give him a bottle at night b/c I like to see that he is getting at least 5 oz and when he nurses at night he only gets about 4...at least that's how much I pump at night. I appreciate everyone's help...any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    your baby is much more efficient then a pump and in all likelihood if you can pump 4 ounces, he's almost guaranteed to be getting more than that if he nurses.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

It doesn't sound to me like you child is weaning- just cutting back. He may pick up his nursing frequency again, when he's teething or going through some other developmental milestone. If you offer the breast more frequently, will he take it?

As a PP suggested, if nursing on nights and weekends is going okay, there's probably no reason why you have to pump. Although you may want to continue anyway, for 3 reasons: first, you'll have that much more milk in your freezer stash, second, there are health benefits to producing milk (decreased risk of breast cancer, diabetes, obesity) that increase the longer you go, and third, a few pumping sessions may increase your milk supply for the times when you are together with your baby and he wants to nurse.

Are the sitters who are with your child in the mornings offering the bottle before the solids, or after? Sometimes a kid will fill up on solids instead of mama's milk, so waiting until he finishes the bottle (or breast) to offer the solids may increase his breastmilk intake.

Another way to get your milk into your baby is to mix it with his solids: breastmilk can be used (for example) to make cereal or to thin out some applesauce or sweet potato mash.

Finally, you probably don't need to give your baby a bottle before bed. I know you said that you like to see him take 5 oz before bed and you only pump 4, but judging your milk output when nursing by what you pump isn't always a good idea. Most babies are much more efficient at emptying the breast than a pump is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He will take the breast if I offer it too him but only for about 3 minutes sometimes 6 tops....unless he is already halfway asleep and i nurse him...then he completely empties me out!

I nurse him in the mornings around 5-6am, when he wakes up, and about twice in the afternoon, I do not nurse him at night, instead I give him a bottle w/BM.

The sitters only give him a bottle if I tell them to. His schedule is as follows:
    5-6am: nurse
    8-8:30am: eat solid foods
    9:30-11: nap
    12: solids
    2: nurse and nap until 4:30
    6-6:30: solids
    8: Bottle w/BM

the naps are a little different but that is his general schedule.

We do mix the cereral w/breast milk but only if we already have some thawed for him to use...we try to use as little stored milk as possible.

I just don't know how to go about weaning and pumping while trying to wean. My doctor said that he needs to have breast milk only until he is about 11.5 months old. I want to have him weaned by the time he is a year old as I do not want to continue to breast feed after that. She said if I think he isn't getting at least 15-20oz of BM/day then I could supplement w/other forms of calcium such as cheese and yogurt...stuff he loves. I know he gets more than calcium from my BM but this is what the doctor recommened and she said that he is getting enough of the vitamins from the solids I am feeding him. I guess since the sitters dont give him a bottle between 8 and 12...do I need to pump or no?

Thank you again to everyone for your helpful advice. For a first time BF mom this stuff can be quite frustrating as I am sure you all know!!
    Last edited by @llli*ozziesmama; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

One thing I wanted to mention was that the length of time doesn't mean that he is or isn't getting enough milk. my lo will sometimes nurse for 5 minutes and be totally filled up and done! other times, she wants to nurse longer. It seems like it would be easier for you to nurse in the evenings rather than pump and give a bottle - like the pp said, your baby is much more efficient than a pump - but if he is waking up hungry and you don't want to nurse him during the night - then I guess an extra bottle will help. I can't give you advice about weaning, as I'm still nursing my 8 mo. old, but I'm sure other moms can chime in!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!