Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only getting 1 1/2 oz when pumping

Question only getting 1 1/2 oz when pumping

HI! I'm a full-time stay-at-home mom and my daughter is now almost 5 months old. I used to pump regularly and wasn't using the stored milk and so I stopped pumping. All of a sudden we started using the milk and used up the supply. Now, I'm trying to pump once a day again. I have been pumping once every morning (around 11:00) for about two weeks and it seems like I'm getting less and less every day. The past two days have only been 1 1/2 oz. My dd is definitely getting enough to eat, so the pumping isn't affecting her.

Should I try to add in one more session per day or is there something better to try? Thanks in advance for any help! I did try and look through the threads, but couldn't find quite the same question. Thanks!

Michelle

Default Re: only getting 1 1/2 oz when pumping

How long are your pumping sessions? You should try and pump for at least 10-15 minutes. Also, massaging your breast while pumping may help you to get more milk out.

Also, what kind of pump are you using? Electric or manual? It’s possible that you may have to replace some parts on your pump to have it work more effectively again (e.g., valves/membranes, etc.).

Just remember that your dd is more effective at getting milk out than a pump is…so don’t fret if you don’t get too much out during a pumping session.

If you are looking to increase your milk supply, there are a few options…
    -add one or two more pumping sessions during the day (the increase demand/pumping will increase your supply)
    -herbal supplements such as fenugreek
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

-eating oatmeal
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html

HTH! Good luck!

Are you feeding your baby right before pumping? This used to happen to me also. Now I at least wait 45 minutes to pump right after I BF so that I can pump more out and build up for the next BF session, which is ussually about 2 1/2 hrs after. Pumping in the morning and in th e evening before going to bed are good options. This is when your milk supply is the highest due to the prolactin level increase through the night. To build up my supply I not only started pumping twice throughout the day on my days off but also started drinking Mothers milk tea. This tea is supposed to help bust the supply and help the babies digestive system. You can get it online or at a local GNC. The recommended dose is about 3-5 bags a day. I sometimes put 2 bags in one serving. This tea comntains fenugreek and blessed thistle. I have currentlly purchased these two ingredients in capsules for easier access. I hope this is helpful to you and if you have any questions in regards please ask

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try a couple of things. First, I'm going to replace the valves on my machine (it's electric) because I think they are getting worn out. Second, I'm going to try and add a pumping session at night before I go to bed. My sessions are already at least 10-15 minutes. I have been eating oatmeal recently, just because I like it. When I make my next trip to town I will also look for some of the herbs or teas mentioned.

I had been trying to wait for 2 hours after dd eats to pump, she eats about every 3. But since you were pumping 45 minutes after a feeding I'm going to try that also. I have noticed being a little tense because I'm afraid that I'll pump and then she'll want to eat right away.

Thank you both for the info! I'm sure it will help!

Michelle

Hi!
    I hope somebody can help me in this subject.
    I have been mom for 2 months and I have been breastfeeding exclusively. My baby is definitely getting enough milk.
    I just tried Medela electric pump and unfortunatelly I'm not getting any milk extracted. I tried to pump few times and after 15 minutes of pumping on the highest speed and suction I was able to get out only a few drops.
    Any advice?
    Thank you for help!

You know what...I pump at work for one 20 minute session, and I am really lucky to get 1.5 ounces. My son is a year old, and I've been doing this since he was only a few months old. I use the best electric pump on the market. Some people just don't respond well to the pump, and I guess I'm one of them! I've stopped stressing about the amount. If your child is getting enough, don't worry, but consider some of the good advice given here. Just remember that sometimes you just have to be happy with what you get. I've heard that getting 1 or 2 ounces is completely normal.
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."

This is also a really great resource for information:

What is normal when it comes to pumping output and changes in pumping output?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon