Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some support please

Default Need some support please

Hi ladies! This is my 1st post. We recently found out we are expecting #2 in October and this is one of the 1st places I knew to visit! With Maya I just knew I would BF and it would be perfect. Yeah right! Maya was in the NICU after birth so I pumped and then when she came home we tried latching with no luck. So I continued to pump but then got so depressed with all the pumping I eventually stopped. It is something I so regret.

So now that I am expecting #2 I know that I want BF to work! My issues are that I don't really have that great of a support team here! My dh is wonderful but he just doesn't get it! Know what I mean. Then yesterday my Mom said "So are you going to try and BF again?" I said "Yes definitly!" My Mom then goes into "Ok Sarah you will be a machine and you also have Maya to take care of!" WTH?! I told her flat out that I really would like her to be supportive and that WAS NOT supportive! Jeez! So can you please tell me I can do this! LOL

Also something I am concerned about is......With Maya I had to pump from the get go. My colustrum was barely the amount of a pencil erasure (sp?) when I pumped. How will that sustain my baby? Also my milk did not come in until 6 days later! Is that ok if it happens again?

Thanks for reading this novel! LOL

Default Re: Need some support please

Yes! You certainly can do it!!! Hopefully your family will be more supportive and there's always this forum - it has been a great source of support for me, as I am around several other new mothers, none of which are breastfeeding. Just keep a positive attitude and don't be afraid to ask for help. Find out of there is a lactation nurse that you can talk to at your hospital - that really helped me.
    As far as your issues with your milk coming in, I delivered my daughter on a Monday and my milk didn't really come in until the next Satuday and she was fine... it's been three and a half months now and we're still breastfeeding successfully.
    Good luck!!

Hi,

You can do it!!! You really can. I admire how hard you worked last time and can tell you really want to make this work. We'll be here for you online but it might be good to try and find a local LLL meeting. It can be a good place to find resources and meet similarly-minded people.

A big source of support for me is the lactation consultants at the hospital where I had the baby. They are great and always call me right back. They were very relaxed and confident that breastfeeding would work, which made me much less stressed about it.

Colostrum comes in tiny amounts, so what you describe sounds right to me. Sorry I don't know anything about the timing of milk coming in.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks Ladies! I did find that there is a local LLL. So I think once I get a little further along in my pregnancy I will start going to meetings! I know I can do this!

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I found a couple of things from the Breastfeeding Answer Book (LLL publication) that might answer your questions...

1. "The colostrum, the yellow or golden first milk the baby receives in his first few days of life, has high concentrations of nutrients and immunities, but it is small in quantity (teaspoons, not ounces). Not feeling full encourages the baby to nurse frequently, which assures that the baby gets the colostrum he needs. Frequent nursing helps to establish a good milk supply early on, as well as providing a variety of health benefits." page 27

2. "The special first milk, called colostrum, is a concentrated form of nutrition that also contains the specific immunities that a newborn needs. Colostrum alone is present in small amounts until the third or fourth day after birth, when most mothers notice that their milk becomes more plentiful. This is when the body begins to shift into the production of mature milk, a transition that takes about two weeks to complete" page 36

So, I think what you experienced was definitely within the range of normal as milk really "transitions in," more than "comes in" LOL!

On a personal note, I was a formula fed baby and my mother's support of breastfeeding was hard won (but also very important to me). I just kept giving her the information I had in the kindest way I knew how! :-)

You can do it! Good luck! Hang out here for a while!

Hi Sarah,
    Wow, you really sound dedicated and determined. You did great by your first dd, no matter how things turned out.

As far as support from your mom and dh goes...it is often difficult for our loved ones to see us struggle with something. They just want to fix it for us. So, knowing what happened the first time, your mom may just be putting up her defenses in protection of you-not wanting to see you hurt again. That is very normal!

What you can do to help her with this is continue to teach her what is normal about BF and what your plans are. If she is worried about you being busy with dd and new baby, let her know your plans for that: "I have this great sling, and I am practicing using it with Maya's dolls so that when the time comes I will be able to use it! I have heard that keeping the baby close helps with feedings and keeps baby more content, not to mention freeing up my hands for other things!" She may see that you have really thought this through and then she will jump on the bandwagon with you. If at all possible, get her to go with LLL meetings with you. You could also see if your area offers couples meetings and you could take dh. They will get a better idea of what to expect and how to help.

It might be reassuring for your mom to know now that there are lots of things she can do to help. Basically, everything besides nursing! You can let her know that her suppport with Maya, housework, cooking, etc. will help encourage you to get BF off to a great start.

Give dh and mom lots of info, print up little bits of things here and there and give to them to read. Some dads aren't interested in reading a whole book, but you might pick up some tear-off sheets at an LLL meeting and bring them home for him to look at. Again this is where LLL meetings come in helpful for support. You will often find like-minded moms there, and that can be a huge support.

As far as colostrum and milk production, there is a range of normal, as listed in the BAB quote above. The key here is frequent breastfeeding. It is normal and necessary for newborns to nurse a lot and for long periods of time. They are doing their job by helping your mature milk to become more abundant. Rest assured that your colostrum is perfect for your newborn. The stomach capacity of a 1-day-old is about the size of a small marble. So you can see how just a teaspoon of colostrum is the perfect amount.

Sounds like you are really thinking things through, and we are always here for you!
    Good luck to you!
    HTH

Wow ladies Thank you so much!! It is so great to hear the "Yes you can do it"! You know the funny thing about my Mom? She BF me for 6 months!!! LOL So why the heck she isn't totally into me BF is beyond me? Maybe she had a hard time with it? I know she says that she felt like a "machine"?! But I have a great relationship with my Mom and I am going to do what you suggested Kate!

Oh and slings! YAY! I love slings, I already have a couple!

I guess my main worry w/ BF is "Will my baby get enough?" "Will I be able to produce enough?" I hate that I even think that!

Your body will make just what your baby needs. Pumps are far less efficient than babies~they get more.

was your baby born early? A baby is much better at building milk supply then a pump.
    I second finding a good lll group and going, you'll meet lots of other moms that are supportive of breastfeeding.