Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping

Smile pumping

I have a question. I don't pump very often since I am a stay at home mom with my little one. But I would like to pump once a day (usually 1st thing in moring) to get a supply built up in case I am gone and she gets hungry with daddy or we go out and she is with a sitter.

I pump for only a few minutes so that it doesn't take away from her.. However when I pump I only get a little bit at a time. It would take several times in a day in order to get enough for 1 feeding for her.

Any suggestions on how I can possibly get more? I use a manual avent and sometimes will use evenflo manual/electric. I understand that pumping doesn't yield the same as if she is fed directly.

Thanks,
    Jenn

Default Re: pumping

You can probably pump for longer than a few minutes and not worry about not having enough left for your LO. You may feel “emptier” for a day or two, but the extra “demand” on your breasts created by pumping should result in increased milk production i.e. your breast should catch up to the demand.
    You might also try using the flange insert for the Avent pump to help stimulate let down. I have heard the Evenflo doesn’t work very well from a friend of mine, although I have never used one.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yeah, you definitely want to pump for at least 10 minutes or so…you can pump in between nursing sessions…or if you dd nurses only on one side, you can pump the other side when she’s done feeding. Like the pp stated, you shouldn’t worry about having enough left for your dd because you’re never actually completely empty…and the increased pumping sessions will increase your milk supply. You can also try massaging your breasts when pumping. I find that this works great for me…I can get a lot more milk out by massaging my breasts! HTH! Good luck!

I found it best to pump after the final feeding of the night. I would pump until the breast was completely empty and I knew I had a longer stretch to build up afterwards as DD tended to go longer between feedings at night.

I use the Let-down Massage Cushion that came with my pump. I have the "on the go".

I have never had enough milk pumped to provide a feeding for my dd even when I had to pump so when she got my milk from a bottle. I would be lucky if in 4 15 min sessions to get enough to replace 1 that I had reserved in the freezer.

Could it be that this pump just doesn't work with me? I know that sometimes people have better success with 1 kind of pump over another. I can tell the difference if I use compression in regards to getting a bit more milk it just seems like my nipples are getting sore anymore lately.

it could definitely be the pump that you're using. i havne't heard too many great things about the evenflo pump...

i found this comment on babycenter:
    The Evenflo pump just didn't have enough power, and I was forced to pump for a long time just to get a couple of ounces. I talked to some friends who told me about the Medela pumps, and after doing some quick research, decided I needed to try it. I was planning on going back to work and frankly, I wouldn't have the time or the patience to wait while the Evenflo pump did its job.

i've heard great things about medela, avent isis IQ, and ameda purely yours breast pumps....

I owned the Evenflo pump and personally, it's a hunk of garbage... My personal opinion only!

My IBCLC rates pumps on a scale of 1 to 10. On her scale, the Evenflo pumps are at a -2.

I would recommed using a different pump.

Good luck!

I hardly use the evenflo one as it is nosiey.

I use the Avent "on the go" most as it is easier and you know you can get it cleaner. I went with it since it came with alot more things (storage bag, extra bottles, etc) instead of the harmony by medela which was my first choice, it boiled down to the avent since as I was thinking "more bang for my buck"..

well somtimes getting more doesn't mean better.. as with anything in life it is all a learning experience

Is there anyone who is using the harmony pump and if so what do you think about it? Have you tried any other styles and could you tell a difference?

I use the harmony pump. Generally I get great output from it. When I pump, which is very occasionally, I do it in the morning. My son is a one side at a time guy, so after he eats, I pump the other side. I usually can fill up one of the medela bottles (5 oz) in about 10 minutes. I would reccomend it.

One note of caution, however. A few weeks ago my pump totally lost suction. I called Medela and we troubleshooted (troubleshot?!). She determined I needed a new part, and said she'd send it to me, get it in 2-3 business days. After about 10 days I had recieved nothing. I called again on Wed. (this week) and spoke to someone again. She overnighted me a box full of assorted parts (at least one of all but two of the parts- the only two that aren't directly involved in creating suction). We're honestly not sure why the suction stopped but sometimes when it would get cleaned it would end up soaking in the sink. Maybe that was bad. We won't do that anymore!

So, sorry so long, but when this pump works, it works well! And if it stops working Medela will generally come through for you.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you. I stay home and only need to give my dd a bottle occasionally. I do pump once a day though to build up a supply. It really came in handy when I had to be put in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy a few months ago, so I definitely recommend having a freezer stash. For my pumping needs, I find the Medela Double select is perfect. It works on batteries or you can plug it in and it came with bottles in the box too. I love it and it works really well for me, although it was a little expensive (about $130, but totally worth it). Check it out: http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/pumps...#double_select
    I found that after a few days of pumping consistently at the same time or pumping one side while feeding on the other gets me the most milk. It usually takes 2 pumping sessions to get the 4 -5 oz feeding that I freeze.
    Last edited by LaurasMom; August 25th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.