Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night weaning is not going so well

Default Night weaning is not going so well

It started out great! DD was putting herself to sleep. I'd give her something soft to put in her hand (she likes to have a hand in my hair when I'm holding her), she'd suck her thumb and go to sleep.
    I really want to night wean. I really want her off of me.
    This was last night.
    Bed at 6:30 by DH (I usually nurse her before bed but I'm not home Wed evenings so no nursing). He said she was asleep in seconds.
    Woke at 9:30. I nursed her. She did not fall asleep at the breast she actually pulled away when she was done. So I started rocking her. She's heavy and I have an unpadded wooden rocking chair so after a while it gets uncomfortable. I put her in her crib with her softy and sat beside her (this has worked in the past. If she sees me she doesn't cry as often she'll fall asleep). Everytime she stood up and cried I wordlessly put her back lying down. I gave up at 10:30 and DH stepped in. Back to sleep around 11. After an hour and a half!
    Woke again at 2:30ish. No nursing but I picked her up and rocked her for a while. Until I couldn't anymore. Put her in her crib. 3:00 or 3:30 Dh stepped in (ok by this point I was sitting in the hallway listening to her cry, I couldn't do it anymore). He tried while I went to bed. 4:00 he brought her to bed with me (he had to go to work this morning!). She cried and fought until 5:00 when I gave in and nursed her. Then she slept til 7 and she's up for the day.

I know I'm not doing this right! Someone please help. I want her off me and I want to sleep too! It's been weeks. I need a more consistent method.
    I have looked at Dr Jay Gordons method but He says not to nurse again until after she's slept, but I can't get her back to sleep to get to that point.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Night weaning is not going so well

how long have you been doing this?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Three weeks, but the first week was sort of testing out waters and nothing consistent. So two weeks. And it seems to be getting worse rather than better. For a few days before last night there'd be one waking that she'd take an hour to go back down. Before that (when we first started) it wouldn't take longer than 30 min at any given waking.
    I've checked and I don't feel anymore teeth coming in so I don't think she's teething.
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I'm not night weaning yet (although we are planning to start soon) but it sounds to me like you have a super smart one there who has figured out what's going on It certainly sounds like you're being consistent and that you are doing all the right things I don't have any advice, only not to beat yourself up. Perhaps you could offer water in a sippy? Does she take a paci?

also, does she have here 12 month molars yet? I know you said you can't feel anything, but the molars tend to cause more trouble for a longer period of time so perhaps they have started to come in but aren't in enough for you to feel?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

No she doesn't have them yet. Maybe they're coming in.
    The next two nights are going to be tough because DH is away on business so I won't have him to sub in for me.
    I guess I'll just have to keep at it. Thanks for the encouragement!
    Amanda

What about pushing back her regular night feedings little by little so you won't have to hear her cry (or minimal crying). So maybe you can gradually eliminate these feedings instead of just not offering her the breast entirely. Like if she wakes up at 9:30 maybe just hold her for 15 min. and then feed her at 9:45. She will let you know if you are moving too fast to try and eliminate the feedings altogether. I have not night weaned my son but have been able to eliminate some of his feedings at night that I know he doesn't need. Now he just gets up 1-2x a night to eat which is something I can live with for now. Just a thought. Lots of
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*collinsmom View Post
    What about pushing back her regular night feedings little by little so you won't have to hear her cry (or minimal crying). So maybe you can gradually eliminate these feedings instead of just not offering her the breast entirely. Like if she wakes up at 9:30 maybe just hold her for 15 min. and then feed her at 9:45. She will let you know if you are moving too fast to try and eliminate the feedings altogether. I have not night weaned my son but have been able to eliminate some of his feedings at night that I know he doesn't need. Now he just gets up 1-2x a night to eat which is something I can live with for now. Just a thought. Lots of
    I hadn't thought of doing it that way! I'll give that a try.
    Amanda

Oh my goodness ladies!! What a contrast from the night before!

last night
    Bed 6:30-7:00
    Woke 9:30ish. Took about an hour to get her back to sleep. Well she fell asleep a couple times but woke up when I'd leave the room. Anyway deep asleep by 10:15. And on her own, me beside the crib.
    At 5:00 I heard a bit of crying. Before I could drag my butt out of bed she'd put herself back to sleep!
    Up at 6.. I nursed her in bed until 7.

This was the best night we've had in months!!!!
    Amanda

glad things went beter last night...
    Sometimes you just have to take them to bed, its stinks but you have to get some sleep right.

WEaning always seams like 2 steps back for every one forward.

Since your hubby isn't going to be home I would do what ever to get some sleep while hes gone.

good luck!

I'm glad things went better mama Hopefully this is a turning point!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08