Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Stories

Default Pumping Stories

I know we all have had those.... funny, embarssing, and touching moments... lets share...

Today I decided to pump in the locker room/bath room. it's not private but there is a shower area that's seperated by a shower curtain. So a few people came in the locker room, but not the area I was in. BUT there was one lady who HAD to be noisy and come in the shower area. Then she asked (looking straight at me) "what's that?" I replied, I am breastfeeding my baby...she says "oh that's nice" and walks out...

WTH?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: Pumping Stories

Some people are just amazing & seem to be living in a world all their own!

I was not a regular pumper, but had to pump for a few days last June when DS was 17 months and I had to go out of state. I was sharing a hotel room with my two brothers so my opportunities to pump were limited. I would get up extra early just so I could pump in the shower so I could take my time b/c my pump sucked (well literally as well ) and took forever.
    Well my brothers were always pounding on the door asking what I was doing/if I was sick/why are you taking so long.
    So I just shouted that I am pumping my milk, leave me alone. They didnt bug me the rest of the trip!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I have a unique office in that it used to be a guest apartment with a full bathroom and it's down then end of a dead end hallway that doesn't get much foot traffic and has no interior windows (like on the door or side of the door). It was a nice set up because I could pump in peace with no one knowing what I was doing and I could just wash all my stuff right in my office sink. Well, thankfully one day I put the safety chain lock on my door because right in the middle of pumping a coworker decided she needed something from my office and thinking I wasn't in because my door was closed she keyed into my office without knocking. There I am sitting behind my desk, shirt unbuttoned pumping away while at my computer and THANKFULLY the chain lock kept the door from only opening about 2 inches. I quickly said, "I'll be right with you." I think it dawned on her what was happening and she later apologized. Oh, and did I mention that she had a male coworker with her when she keyed in!!! Yeah, that could have made for a awkward moment had the door swung all the way open . From that day on I was diligent about putting the chain lock on my door.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Oh, the things we go through for our little babes...

I work at a high school part-time and my office is part of the English office, so many teachers have a key. I always put a sign on the door (it says 'meeting in progress' but it has a pic of a cow!) but sometimes teachers just need something. One day the only male teacher with a key barged right in with two students and proceeded to file a huge stack of papers! They were there for at least 10 minutes!

The girls were embarrassed and tried alternately to ignore me or to make small talk but the teacher acted like there was nothing unusual about the situation. I just chalked it up to the fact that he has kids too
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beau.smomma View Post
    Oh, the things we go through for our little babes...

I work at a high school part-time and my office is part of the English office, so many teachers have a key. I always put a sign on the door (it says 'meeting in progress' but it has a pic of a cow!) but sometimes teachers just need something. One day the only male teacher with a key barged right in with two students and proceeded to file a huge stack of papers! They were there for at least 10 minutes!

The girls were embarrassed and tried alternately to ignore me or to make small talk but the teacher acted like there was nothing unusual about the situation. I just chalked it up to the fact that he has kids too
    Ouch! That must NOT have been fun, mama!

I bet you're right about him having kids, though - it's amazing what DH now thinks of as "normal" that would have embarrassed the heck out of him before DS was born.

Maybe (although RUDE to barge in and stay) his treating it as normal will be a lesson for those young girls? They may never have seen breasts used for feeding a baby before.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I have a pump story or two, but I think my most embarassing moment was trying to nurse at my brother-in-law's wedding. So, ok, I was using the baby as a pump.

At the time DD2 was about 2 weeks old. We were required to get to the church early for family pics and all that. Well, we all know how often newborns nurse so I asked my very soon to be sis-in-law if there was a place I could go. They were all finished getting ready so she sent me in the room where her and the bridesmaids had gotten dressed. The only thing I could find to wear that was suitable for a wedding was this button down dress, so my entire chest was basically exposed. But I figured since everyone was ready and busy taking pictures I was safe. Not so much. So here I am in the midst of switching sides when the bride's mother comes busting in with ALL FOUR of the ushers! She starts giving them orders about taking all the girls' stuff out to the cars and making sure the room is cleaned up. Those poor guys were so red I actually felt more embarassed for them than me because she had been so inconsiderate to all of us. They had to make 4 or 5 trips into the room and they tried so hard to ignore me. Some people, really!
    Raising my children is the greatest career I can imagine. The pay is low, the hours are long, but the benefits and rewards are infinite!

A month after I had returned to work my boss asked if i could go to an intown all day conference at a large hotel, i jumped at the oportunity since it didn't require any travel. well about a week before it dawned on me that i was still going to have to pump at least twice while there. after calling and asking if there was anywhere available I resigned myself that i would most likely end up pumping in a bathroom, so i made sure i had a batterypack and was very prepared. I ended up pumping in the lounge of the ladies bathroom twice, the first time people walked by and glanced in but thankfully respected my privacy except for a hotel employee who came in to charge her cell and make a personal call. later that afternoon a few ladies came in and sat down with thier laptops working away and seemed a little put out that I was in there, thankfully my firend sat with me and chatted so I didn't feel too awkward.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

double post!
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; February 27th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My baby had a really catastrophic latch, and I ended up with low supply. I had to pump, and what I remember most about pumping was the hard stuff.

Having to choose between pumping and taking care of my newborn.

Spilling an entire bottle- 4 or 5 oz!- of freshly expressed milk all over my newly cleaned carpet, and then needing to supplement with formula because I ran out of milk later in the day.

Pumping when I got the call that my Aunt had died of cancer. That is the worst memory, but it also marks the moment that I finally gave myself permission to stop pumping. My supply was rebuilt, my daughter was nursing effectively. Somehow my Aunt's death allowed me to see that my attachment to the pump was a very small thing in the great span of life. I called my LC the next day, and she was really glad to have the pump back, because she had a mom who was expecting twins and might need it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"