Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 9.5 mo still won't eat solids!!!

Default My 9.5 mo still won't eat solids!!!

We've been trying since she was 6 mos but still little progress has been made. She will sometimes eat mashed bananas and occasionally will eat soft stalks of broccoli. But, she won't eat ANYTHING else. In fact, she won't even put the food to her mouth most of the time. We've tried different times of the day, we've tried offering her food off of our plate, we've tried mushy and soft finger foods. She doesn't seem to understand how to gum her food; typically, IF she puts it to her mouth, she will chomp on it with her four front teeth if it's soft finger food. 'm starting to think she will never eat solids! How "normal" is this, and is there anything else I can try?

I should add that we give her probiotics in the form of a watery paste via an oral syringe. She takes that like a pro, often holding the syringe herself and moving it to her mouth. The acidophilus is flavorless.
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2babyk; February 25th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: My 9.5 mo still won't eat solids!!!

I've hearn this is actually quite common! Is there any chance she has a sensitivity or allergy to foods? I've hearn that allergic babies will reject foods until they are a bit over a year old.
    If this is not the case, maybe your baby doesn't want the smooshy stuff! You could try those Gerber finger foods, cheerios, tender shredded chicken, uncooked ripe pears (just give her a bite sized piece, you don't have to mash it at this age.
    So, maybe try a different texture?
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

just keep offering her food and try not to stress over it

try different textures, different temperatures, etc.

sweet potato is a big hit here (you can bake it, steam it, make oven fries out of it, etc). Any fruit or veggie really - peas, green beans, carrots, pears, peaches, apples, etc.

You could try shredded chicken, cooked beans, grated cheese.

My advice would be to offer lots of variety (keep a food journal so you can pin point a reaction) and be relaxed about it. Give her meals when you eat your meals and before long she'll get the hang of it.

ETA: my lo loves to eat a peeled apple. He holds the whole thing in his hand and bites off pieces. The same can be done with pears, peaches or any other relatively soft fruit. Perhaps she doesn't like the texture of mashed foods?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We thought the texture might've been the problem, too, so we started offering some finger foods. Of the "finger foods," we've offered her broccoli stalks, chunks of butternut squash, apple chunks, and sweet potato fries. She makes this serious face, makes a constant uhhhh sound, and proceeds to squish and smear the food, rather than put it to her mouth. The only exception is the apple. She would prefer to hold an entire apple and gnaw on it all day long. I've let her, but I've been terrified of her choking since she does bite little pieces off and has gagged on other solid foods (even mushy ones!). If all of this is normal, then great. I don't want to stress about it b/c I don't want her to be stressed, but I think I'm mostly concerned that her pediatrician is going to turn me in as a bad parent or something crazy like that. She's been having some GI issues since Christmas, and her weight gain has only recently started up again. We've tested her for a few food allergies, but the allergist said he didn't feel she was an allergic child. The GI doc thinks she has an overgrowth of bad bacteria caused by antibiotics given during the holidays. I've considered this as part of the problem, but she never seems nauseated and doesn't show signs of stomach pain. In fact, she's a generally happy baby who still nurses 8-10 times a day! Oh, I should note that she rarely takes a bottle either.

Pumped for 30 months

also, keep in mind that gagging is not choking Gagging is perfectly normal and expected when babies are learning how to eat. Sometimes a CPR class can really help a mom feel more relaxed about letting her child feed him/herself.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Dont stress. This time is about exposing them t solids, your milk is plenty right now and her weight is what my bigger baby weighed at 12 months. Keep on doing what you are doing.

Thank you for the reassurances. This is my first child, and I have nothing to compare her to. As long as she's healthy, I'm happy. Now...to keep the ped at bay! haha Thanks again ladies...

Pumped for 30 months