Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Locker room/bathroom, no private, but 2 secs from desk

24 64.86%
  • Outside in the car

9 24.32%
  • forgot about pump, just pump at home and pray for your supply to last

0 0%
  • Or continue to Walk 10 min to the medical dept with a private room w/o a lock

4 10.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWYD? Places to Pump?!?!

Default Re: WWYD? Places to Pump?!?!

Okay so here is my two cents as I have a similar issue.
    I pumped in the restroom (in the stall) with DD and for the first couple of months with our DS. People were surprised, asked questions but I just kept on. Eventually they said they were impressed by my dedication. I just sat on the toilet read a book/magazine and pumped every three hours for twenty minutes.
    Now that we have moved (we are in the Army) I pump in a restroom/locker room. I sit on the couch in the "locker room" area right in the open an pump; I do pull my shirt over the cones/pumps for a little privacy. One of the other women said, "I remember those days". Must people walk in look and quickly walk into the restroom area.

IMHO you are feeding your baby - its not an ideal situation but it could be worse. People will have to get over any issues they may have.

Sorry you have to worry about this!

But keep it up!!!:

BTW I have even pumped in the field (I am active duty) while training - I just brought an electric tea kettle with me to run hot water through the pump pieces. The milk I stored in the cooler with ice and once a day either I would run out and give it to DH and get fresh ice or he would come to me. It can be done!!!
    Last edited by @llli*meneito97; March 27th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meneito97 View Post
    Okay so here is my two cents as I have a similar issue.
    I pumped in the restroom (in the stall) with DD and for the first couple of months with our DS. People were surprised, asked questions but I just kept on. Eventually they said they were impressed by my dedication. I just sat on the toilet read a book/magazine and pumped every three hours for twenty minutes.
    Now that we have moved (we are in the Army) I pump in a restroom/locker room. I sit on the couch in the "locker room" area right in the open an pump; I do pull my shirt over the cones/pumps for a little privacy. One of the other women said, "I remember those days". Must people walk in look and quickly walk into the restroom area.

IMHO you are feeding your baby - its not an ideal situation but it could be worse. People will have to get over any issues they may have.

Sorry you have to worry about this!

But keep it up!!!:

BTW I have even pumped in the field (I am active duty) while training - I just brought an electric tea kettle with me to run hot water through the pump pieces. The milk I stored in the cooler with ice and once a day either I would run out and give it to DH and get fresh ice or he would come to me. It can be done!!!
    good for you!!!

I voted for the locker room.
    When I was working we only had a 15 minute break and they were extremely strict on break times. It was a PIA to walk across the building, get the key, go back across the building, pump, clean up and then go turn the keys back in. Not ideal but much more relaxing to go 5 feet to the ladies room.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

, mamas! It's inspiring what you do to take care of & nurse your LOs.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I think it just depends on where you're comfortable. Your supply wont be as good if you are stressed and uncomfortable, so your personal preference is probably the best answer.
    I pumped in a locker room for a year and chatted to others as they came in & out - pulled scrub shirt over the horns for a little privacy. Now we have a lactation room right in our area so that is great. However i have also recently pumped in the shower stall at the gym, and sitting in a chair in the ladies room at the ski hill. I just dont care who sees me pump anymore, and more often than not, i get comments from other women of "i remember when ..." or asking how old my baby is. That makes me feel like i belong to some special sorority of mums and its all OK.

Bathroom - no way. Locker room with decent chair - ok.

When I was pumping, I worked in the Cascade Mountains most days. On those "field" days I would just lean up against a tree and pump. Some days were gloriously sunny and others wet and cold (35F). For my last pumping of the day at work, I would usually hike back to the work truck ahead of my crew and pump. Well, by the end of the season, the crew would jump in the truck whether I was done or not. I had my "big" pump in the truck so I would sit in back with the power cord over the seat and 3 guys in the truck with me. It was normal. I just wore old tshirts so it was easy to not be exposed.

On one of my field days, I was way up on a Cascade volcano climbing with a coworker. We stopped way above treeline to pump then I put glacier snow in my cooler for my BM.

On office days I had a ratty old office that the facility guy put a folding door on. I had a sign that said "dairy in operation". It got so that people would just ask if they could come in. They didn't want to wait till I finished. So pumping became as normal as eating. I always shut the door but most folks could have cared less.

I have been blessed!

I voted Locker room... you can use a cover if not for you for other people so that they wont feel embarrest for the situation.... You never know who will walk in