Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Logistics While on Travel

Red face Pumping Logistics While on Travel

Hello Working Moms!

I'm looking for some ideas/feedback/advice on how to logistically manage work travel next week. I was asked this morning to support efforts on a project next week which will require me to travel from Monday to Friday. My immediate response is to not go, but in thinking more about it I feel like I'm up for the challenge to go on this trip...

Anyway, I am not worried about the baby... He will be in good hands with Daddy... And I have a freezer full of milk, so he'll have enough throughout the week.

What I am concerned about is if it's logistically possible for me to pump 7 times a day while on a business trip that is going to require me to work 12+ hours a day. How do I go about finding dry ice to get my supply packed and shipped overnight? Has anyone had any experience or done this before?

Any words of encouragement would also be appreciated...

Jessie
    Jessie
    Mom to Antonio born 9/10/2008
    at work and at home

Default Re: Pumping Logistics While on Travel

I traveled for 3 days back when DD was 10mos and I think I had to pump 6-7x's a day to match what she would have nursed. I was able to manage it pretty easily because my business meetings were all in the same hotel that I was staying at. I had spoken to the person in charge of the meeting ahead of time so she knew what my needs were and this saved me from feeling like I had to ask permission to leave the room. So, every couple of hours I just casually ducked out of the meeting room, went to my room to pump, and returned to the meeting, no questions asked.

I requested a mini-fridge for my hotel room which was key. I was able to stick the pump parts in there along with the milk which saved time of not having to wash everything each time. I also have two sets of pump parts so that helped as well. Because I'm a total planner and I was so worried about getting caught up in work that I'd miss a session, I actually typed out a schedule with each day's pumping times that I could check off along the way. It just gave myself the peace of mind of knowing that I was keeping up with it.

I don't have any advice on shipping. I have either traveled via car and just packed a cooler or traveled via plane and carried what I pumped in a small cooler bag home.

Oh, and I also made sure that I had the battery pack for my PISA so that I could pump anywhere if I needed to and not worry about finding an electrical outlet.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Just wanted to give an update on how well everything went...

I pumped my normal pumping/feeding times and bagged them up. I stored them in the freezer of the minifridge in the hotel room as well as in the freezer in the breakroom at work... I bought a 10 qt cooler, and ice packs from wal-mart... And packed everything up... I shipped via FedEx overnight and everything managed to stay nice and frozen! I'm heading out again tomorrow for another week on the road for 5 days again... I plan to ship on day 2, and then with a second cooler check it in as luggage with the rest of my supply... I'm so relieved that I didn't have to dump while on travel.
    Jessie
    Mom to Antonio born 9/10/2008
    at work and at home

Wow!!! You are one amazing mama
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I am going on a work related trip for 4 days. So your milk remained frozen in the mini fridge? And shipping using Fed-Ex overnight delivery service was optimal and kept your milk frozen?