Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Now what? What is your typical 10 mo old diet like?

Wink Now what? What is your typical 10 mo old diet like?

Have been breastfeeding for 10 months now. At 6 months we started with lumpy puree's because she choked too much on real solids. About a month ago she lost the urge to choke on anything not liquid so we started with sliced banana, avacado, sliced and steamed apples and sweet potato. She also gets organic barley biscuts, Gerber melt away puff things once in a while and just tried to melt away yogurt things but she wasn't crazy aboout them which was fine by me. Usually only do lunch and dinner because she just wasn't interested in breakfast until yesterday when she grabbed for my bowl of cheerios while I was eating and she was playing so I gave her Cheerios. She has doesn't have a great pincher grasp yet and when she does get the food in her fingers she wants to look at it and then drops it. Won't put anything in her mouth smaller than a biscut unless it is on a spoon.

She still loves to BF and does about 5-6 times a day. Typically she gets as much of a fruit and vegi for lunch and dinner as she wants, she isn't crazy about mushy cereal so rarely will eat it. Liked the cheerios though. So that is what she had for breakfast.

Here is my questions. Now what? What is a typical food diet for the day for some of you who have 10 month old? I know every baby and every day is different. But I really just don't know what and when to be giving her things now. I let her take the lead as far as when she wants to nurse. But I feel like all I give her is fruit and vegi and still only a few real solids the rest are still purree for a lack of knowing what to do on my part. I should also probably mention she only has one little tooth just poking its head out on the bottom.

When to you give Yogurt and Cheese? And why can you give cow based yogurt and cheese if milk is a no no until 1 year. Don't get me wrong...no intention or want to give cow milk just wanna make sure yogurt and cheese are really alright.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Default Re: Now what? What is your typical 10 mo old diet like?

I guess I am really posting because everything I read is either BLS or cereal and purees and she is kinda somewhere in the middle????
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

At around 10 months I was offering a grain for breakfast (either whole wheat toast or cheerios), a protein/iron for dinner and fruits/veggies for lunch and snacks (and to go with dinner and breakfast). So a typical day for us would be:

Breakfast - one slice of ww toast, half a peach

am snack - half an apple

Lunch - a couple of slices of sweet potato (baked), steamed peas and the other half of peach.

pm snack (some days we didn't have two snacks) - cheerios

dinner - shredded chicken, steamed green beans and carrots, grated cheese and a couple pieces of dried apricot (that I soaked in water)

we offer water with meals. I put 3 ounces in his sippy cup in the morning and by the end of the day there is still about an ounce left.

hth

ETA: he still bf's every 2 hours or so, usually totaling 10-12 times per 24 hours.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; February 25th, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I'm back to work now so his schedule is a little different then when we're at home but this is what he does. My guy also is kind of in the in between stage, just when I think he wants more solid food he starts to gag when I give it to him...

BF when we wake up

10am: 4 oz BM in bottle, puree fruit or veggie, cut up banana or kiwi, sometimes puffs or cheerios

lunch BF

3pm: 4 oz BM in bottle, cereal, cut up banana or kiwi, puffs or cheerios

dinner (at home) oatmeal cereal, teething biscuit of some sort, yogurt, pureed fruit or veggie or mushed baked potato/sweet potato

For lots of ideas about what LO are eating at various ages - see this thread:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=14837
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)