Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Speed/Breastshield Fit- Medela PIS

Unhappy Pumping Speed/Breastshield Fit- Medela PIS

I breastfeed, pump, and supplement with formula but would like to use as little formula as possible. It is a good thing that my 2mth old son will take anything I give him and in any form, bottle or breast (lucky me, I know). However, I do want him to have more breast milk than formula. The problem is that since I've started pumping, which was when he was 2 weeks old, my milk supply has dropped. I had PLENTY of milk to begine with so I know that I can produce enough in the right situation. My baby was just a very lazy eater and it took me an hour sometimes to get him to wake up and get full so I went the bottle route.

I do take fenugreek and blessed thistle and this has helped some. However, I'm only getting 4oz in the mornings and 2oz at each pumping session during the rest of the day. I have tried to increase my pumping sessions and I still only get 2oz each time.

Has anyone experimented with the speeds on the Medela PIS? Does it really make a difference? Do the slower speeds extract more milk?

Also, I am starting to wonder if my 24mm breastshields are too small? I have been to the Medela sight and read all about how to choose the correct breastsheild but I'm still not sure. I do know that my nipples are bigger than some women. They do not move freely and do touch the sides of the sheild. However, they are never sore after pumping.

Has anyone had this experience with the breastshields?

Default Re: Pumping Speed/Breastshield Fit- Medela PIS

i have the medela PIS advanced... i gradually increase the speed during the the inital 2 minute let-down feature...so i end up pumping at the highest speed. i find that i am able to get more milk at the highest/fastest speed. one time i didn't i didn't turn it up to the fastest speed during the 2 minute let down and i hardly got anything into the bottle! so for me, the highest/fastest speed works best.

as for the breastshields, although your nipples don't hurt after pumping, it does sound like you may need larger breastshields. your nipples should move freely and not rub against the sides. according to the medela website:
    if the ducts are squeezed by a tightly-fitting breastshield, some milk stays behind in the breast. Eventually, this incomplete milk removal can lead to plugged ducts, mastitis, and problems with low milk volume.

i am also using fenugreek and i drink mother's milk tea...i'm able to pump 4-5oz in the morning, and about 4oz each during the 12:30pm and 3:30pm pumping sessions....but when i'm stressed at work, i am not able to pump as much.

HTH!

hi again...i just got done pumping...and i tried to play with the speeds...and i just wanted to confirm that the highest speed works best for me. i tried slowing it down and could see a difference in milk that was coming out. you just have to play around with the speeds yourself and see what works best for you! good luck!

Thank you for responding! I did go ahead and order the next size up breastsheild and have been playing around with the speeds. I wish I had the advanced PIS but mine was free, a gift, so I can't complain.

I hope these changes help me produce more!

Thanks again for your help!

Oh, you’re so welcome! That’s what we’re all here for! Good luck! And you may be able to play with the speeds on your PIS to mimic a “let-down” and then change the speed again after a couple of minutes for deeper expression.