Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thumbs up at store

Default Thumbs up at store

I was recently shopping at Walmart when my 14 month old dd started to fuss. I knew that she was tired and had brought my sling into the store with me. DD nursed in the sling and was quickly fast asleep. As I was walking through the store with dd still nursing in the sling a woman in her mid fifties was walking by with a man (I'm assuming her husband). She smiled and asked if I was breastfeeding. I said yes and she smiled and gave me a thumbs up and said "Good for you!" I said thank you and kept walking. In the last few days I've thought about that woman often. I wish that she was the norm. I am amazed at how good that quick comment made me feel. I'm sure she has no idea how good she made me feel. It also makes me realize that I could do the same thing for the mother's that I see nursing in public.

Default Re: Thumbs up at store

Quote Originally Posted by momma2bre
    I was recently shopping at Walmart when my 14 month old dd started to fuss. I knew that she was tired and had brought my sling into the store with me. DD nursed in the sling and was quickly fast asleep. As I was walking through the store with dd still nursing in the sling a woman in her mid fifties was walking by with a man (I'm assuming her husband). She smiled and asked if I was breastfeeding. I said yes and she smiled and gave me a thumbs up and said "Good for you!" I said thank you and kept walking. In the last few days I've thought about that woman often. I wish that she was the norm. I am amazed at how good that quick comment made me feel. I'm sure she has no idea how good she made me feel. It also makes me realize that I could do the same thing for the mother's that I see nursing in public.

That's great and I wish more people out there were like that. My dear hubby is a BIG supporter of breastfeeding, I have had to tell him though that some women get nervous when a man comes up to them and gives them a big thumbs up, (one woman thought he was just giving the thumbs up for her showing her boobs, I had to explain to her the thumbs up was for nursing) he'll go up to anyone and say something, I tell him if possiable wait till after her and her baby are done then say good job. I love him so much and he is such a nut.

I think that's a great idea! I'm going to do it everytime I see someone NIP!

I have been so lucky to have only positive experiences, even though I live in an area where it is definitely not the norm. I tend to nurse in lounges and I always get a smile from the women, of all ages. The little kids are the cutest because they want to come up and watch.

My husband is also a very big supporter. He asks everyone he knows who has a baby if they are breastfeeding and when they all inevitably say no he says well my wife is and she has had to work really hard at it too. Gotta love those men!

I have also had nothing but good experiences when nursing in public and I have received several positive comments from women and a (very) few men. Similarly to previous posters, my husband is a huge advocate for bfing and I find it amusing when people he knows will ask HIM questions about bfing. What is even better is that he is a very good source for accurate information.

I think it is a good idea to compliment a woman when I see her nursing. I've had mixed experiences. Some women seem to feel uncomfortable when I say something. Others look like they really needed me to say something. I make a special effort to say something when I see a woman nursing a toddler. They always seem so happy to hear a compliment.

-Lauren