Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Finger Food Ideas

Question Need Finger Food Ideas

Okay, I have a 1 year old and so far hes doing really well. he has had banana peices, toast peices, noodles(small ones), and lots of chunky foods just fine.

But I am at a loss for easy and quick finger food ideas.. he loves to feed himself so I would like to find ideas for things that he will find rewarding and that are good. Im a little scared of him choking though...as he was a bad gagger up until about two weeks ago and still gags if his mouth gets too full.. and he tends to shove in handful after handful like its going out of style.

So ladies, what should I try him on? What are some good finger foods.. Cause right now he eats 3+ times a day and I am sure hes getting bored with toast and bannanas. And he WILL NOT eat jarred baby food, no way, no how. He just spits it out at me.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Default Re: Need Finger Food Ideas

some of my DD's staples at that age were diced cooked carrots - diced peaches, diced pears - all are very soft and worked great - although they may be a little small - pincher grasp work.
    to keep my sanity!

Puffed rice cereal, sliced pears, sliced kiwis, sliced mango (a little slippery), umsalted rice cakes, steamed green beans, steamed asparagus, pineapple, steamed broccoli, salad greens, cereal O's, berries.....
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I guess we were typing at the same time!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

watermelon
    earth's best crackers
    o's
    small chunks of cheese
    rice cake
    veggie booty
    shredded chicken
    canned diced fruit cocktail
    cottage cheese
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I "bumped" this thread for you.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I "bumped" this thread for you.
    THANK YOU!!! Thats immensely helpful!
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

One of my favorite is to microwave a vegie burger (microwaving keeps them soft, they are yummy for adults on the skillet) and then slice them into manageable pieces. She loves it and they are good for her.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.