Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Shift

Default Night Shift

I'm headed back to work in early March. My LO will be pushing three months old. Last night, he only woke up once (yay!!) but up until now he's been waking up between 2-3 and then between 4-6. Assuming we're at a nightly feed (sometimes two) when I get back to work, what would you guys recommend for pumping? I work a 12 hour shift six nights a week (it's insane, I know, and I wish there was a way to work less, but I'm a surgical resident, and we never do things half way. The fact that I put together almost 12 weeks off is really astounding. ) I was thinking of shooting for three pumping sessions a night -- I have a feeling my production may drop with the stress, and that would be a way to keep it up. Also, I'm lucky enough to have a nanny during the day, but was still planning to BF every three-four hours when I'm home during the day, but extra pumping at night may give me wiggle room to have her give him a bottle if I'm extra exhausted.

What do you think? Any tips? There is this amazing article on LLLi about a woman who pumped while she was flying in Iraq. That is my inspiration. If she can do it, I can do it!!

Default Re: Night Shift

That's probably exactly what I'd do - pump at least as many times as the lo typically wakes to eat. You can always cut back if it's obvious you're pumping more than you need... Plus - I always felt better if I had a stash in the freezer ...

And, with you working nights - you may find that lo sleeps better and better ( that's what mine did at least until I swapped back to days ).

sounds like the nanny situation is ideal!

Good luck!
    to keep my sanity!

I hear you! I'm an intern and sort of in the same shoes...although I did start back at 12 weeks with an easy elective. So far, i've been trying to pump whenever I get a chance - even if it's at uneven periods of time - like 2 hours, then 3.5hrs...'Cause I never know when I'll get another 20 min to pump. I've been breastfeeding while I'm at home.
    I would try to pump at least 3 times during 12 hours shifts...Even if the baby doesn't need all this milk now you can save it for later, plus it will keep your milk production going despite the stress. I hope you'll have enough time to run to M-ward and pump.
    Personally, i'm clueless how I am going to pump on general medicine floors...we round till 11am every day....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmomdo View Post
    Personally, i'm clueless how I am going to pump on general medicine floors...we round till 11am every day....
    Could you pump/feed before you leave for work, come in early, pre-round, and then pump right before and after team rounds? That might shorten your interval...

Yep, there's going to be a lot of frantic pumping between cases, but I really want this to work. Thankfully, I bought my own pump and will just use it in my call room.