Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to make babies first foods??

Question How to make babies first foods??

Hi there! I am pretty inexpierenced in the kitchen..so these questions may sound silly, but I would really love to know the answers and since neither of my sisters made their own baby food, I thought you might know best! Annabella is almost 5 months..and I was going to try sweet potato for her first food. I read that baking them would be the best way? If you can't bake them..then steam them? Well, how exactly would you bake it? Just put it on a tray in the oven and once it's done..let it cool then mash it? I also bought online one of those glass graters and am waiting for it to arrive, has anyone used one of those before? I couldn't figure out how or what kind of puree machine to buy..so I came across the glass grater online and saw a demo, it seems to work great! (At least for making applesauce) I might avoid the banana because she already struggles to poop here and there and I don't want to make things worse~anyhow, I could use a good push in the right direction~thanks all!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: How to make babies first foods??

I was pretty overwhelmed at first too, but I bookmarked www.wholesomebabyfood.com and visited it often in the beginning. It has recipes for veggies, fruits, meats, etc. and tells you the best (most nutritious) way to prepare each one. It also gives tips for freezing and storage.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

thats a great website...
    can you share a little bit more about the glass grater?
    I don't think Ive seen one of thoose.

You can "bake" your sweet potato in the microwave. Just poke some holes in it with a fork and put it in for like 5-6 minutes until it's soft when you poke it.

Also, I steam a lot of stuff in the microwave. Put in a glass bowl with a little bit of water, some plastic wrap on top and cook until it's soft enough (most things like 3-4 minutes)
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Ooo thank you for the tip!
    Yes the glass grater.. I googled something and came upon the glass grater..
    http://www.ulula.co.uk/html/glass-graters.php
    Here's the link for one.. if you click on the "download a short video", I was amazed to see how the applesauce just appeared like magic! I can't wait to see if it actually works or not.. it seemed to make such a nice puree! And it looks like a buteer holder!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    You can "bake" your sweet potato in the microwave. Just poke some holes in it with a fork and put it in for like 5-6 minutes until it's soft when you poke it.

Also, I steam a lot of stuff in the microwave. Put in a glass bowl with a little bit of water, some plastic wrap on top and cook until it's soft enough (most things like 3-4 minutes)
    I (personally) would try to keep the use of the microwave to a minimum when preparing baby's foods... a lot of foods will lose their nutrients extremely quickly when prepared in the microwave. Generally, steaming or baking is your best bet (depending on the food). You might also want to reconsider the plastic wrap, especially in the microwave... Just my 2 cents.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.