Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lact-Aid or Medela?

Default Lact-Aid or Medela?

I was just going to EP but I've changed my mind... I don't want to give up nursing... Not when I know that I could use an SNS and keep her at the breast. Even if I had to use the SNS forever, I'd rather do that.

The Lact-Aid seems to be the best for discreet, long term use. I'll need to use this setup even when out and the lact-aid has the option to buy a little pocket that clips to the bra instead of around the neck... The downside is the cost of the lactaid bags... Can I use them more than once? She's 5 weeks old so nursing every 2 to 2.5 hours. That's a lot of bags...

The Medela is reuseable but not as comfortable looking or discreet.

What's better?

Default Re: Lact-Aid or Medela?

I think it is personal preference. I personally use the Medela b/c that's what the IBCLC at the hospital had. I use a nursing cover some places to help with being discreet, but most of the time, I don't care. I have had a few people ask me about it. I just tell them that my LO has feeding issues and this helps him get the milk he needs. Everyone thinks it is great. Usually people say how cool it is that there is something like that to help. Some people ask how it works which is a little more personal so I tailor my answer to the audience (for example, I may not say I tape it under my nipples to a stranger! ) Also, my oldest son's teacher said she used one with her son for a while as well when she saw me using it. There are women here who have used each. I think there was also a thread here somewhere discussing pros and cons of each... Something to consider, your insurance may cover the cost if you receive it as part of a consultation with an LC.
    2001 2004 2008

I can get the medela locally so that's likely what I'll go with... I'm noticing a big difference in her suck since she's had bottles after every feeding and I'm not about to go that route.

My LC doesn't want to give me an SNS or else I could get one free through WIC. She thinks it will hinder the amount of milk Bella takes from the breast. Honestly? I don't care. I'm already pumping after feeds so I'll just remove whatever she doesn't... But her nursing half a$$ed and then taking a bottle doesn't help my supply either. I would rather her nurse at the breast and take her supplement than the bottle. Especially when I know that once my supply is up, she'll cut down on supplement. I've really been pushing the nursing today and I think I'm going to go back to cup feeding her until I can get the SNS tomorrow.

Can the starter SNS be used more than once? I know it's meant only for 24 hours but I'm hoping that maybe after this week I won't need an SNS anymore... It's much cheaper for the starter one...

My LC started us with the Starter SNS which we used for a few weeks. When it became clear that this would be needed long-term, we switched to the full-size system. The starter is more likely to leak and is more of a pain. If you can put up with those annoyances for short-term, it may be worth it to save the money...
    2001 2004 2008

I'd rather put up with those annoyances than shell out like $60! I'm thinking we'll need to use it for a week, max... I've started pumping after every feeding again, for 10-15 min after the flow stops and I'm getting some domperidone today so I can go back to take 90mg a day... The last time, my milk increased in 24 hours and then again afer 48 hours with the domperidone. Her TT clip is Wednesday so I'm hoping increased milk and the clip will be the answer.

Thanks!