Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm losing it!!! :(

Default I'm losing it!!! :(

My daughter is almost 5 months old now. Here's our story:
    With the help of a nipple sheild she was nursing wonderfully for 4 months. I started my period, and supply dropped off a bit, so we needed to supplement some with bottles of my freezer stock pile. She decided at that point bottle were more to her liking and has refused to nurse since then (with the exception of her first feeding of the day-she nurses wonderfully then!!) So, I fought with her for about a week, but finally decided that it just wasn't worth the stress her and I were experiencing, and began pumping full time with a medela pump in style, and feeding her from a bottle.
    So, here is my problem. Like I said before, my supply dropped off a little, and it's been a steady decrease from there. Added to that, she has recently increased the volume of her feeds to 5 oz. ever 3-4 hours. In an attempt to increase supply, I took 3 days off of work (I am a nanny, so even during work days she is with me, but I took days off so that I could focus completely on my task at hand) and stayed home to pump for 10-15 minutes, every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. That had absolutly NO effect. So, a week or so later, I gave it another go. Took a few days off of work, started 4 (610mg) capsules of Fenugreek, 3 times a day. And pumped 15-20 minutes ever 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Still, I am running out of my freezer stockpile, and feel that at this rate I will have no choice but to begin the introduction of formula sometime within the next two or three days.

I am SSOOO sad! I don't want this to be over!!! I DON'T want her to have formula....EVER!!

Do I need to just deal with the fact that this time is upon us? Do I have to give up? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks so much for reading this!! And Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions you might have!!!

oh yeah, I feel it important to mention that my mother is a lactation consultant, and upon asking her about this issue she has said that I am doing everything that I can and if that's not working to increase my supply "sometimes that just happens and there is nothing you can do"
    Have am having so much trouble accepting that answer though.

Please help if you can!!! Thanks again!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*kristi; February 20th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Default Re: I'm losing it!!! :(

What is her diaper output? Sometimes babies will take more from the bottle than they would from the breast cause it just keeps coming out.

Have you had your pump checked? That could be why you aren't getting enough from pumping.

She's 5 months now? Some doctors, like Dr Jack Newman, suggest starting nutrient-rich solids instead of formula at that age. But thats a decision for you to make, just throwing it out there for ya.

Have you tried re-offering the breast since you made the decision to exclusively pump? She would be more efficient at building your milk supply. IF she nurses well in the morning, perhaps simulating that environment and attempt nursing her during a nap or in a quiet, dimly lit room?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Her diaper output is right where it should be. She was drinking 4 oz ever 3-4 hours, but over the past few days has seemed unsatisfied with that, and wanting to eat every 2 hours. So I figured that maybe we needed to increase to 5 oz.
    I have not had the pump checked, just assumed that it was good. It was given to me as a gift, by my lacatation consultant mom just before my baby was born, so it's pretty new.

When she began to refuse the breast I did continue to try to get her on. I continued to try at every feeding for at least two weeks, to no avail. I think that the reason she nurses so well in the morning is because there is plenty there, and let down comes quickly. She's a little impatient

I did pump this morning for 20 minutes after feeding her, and then 3 hours later (I had to grocery shop, so I couldn't do my usually ever 1-2 hours) I pumped again and got about 4 1/2 oz. I can't remember the last time that I got 4 1/2 oz from one session, other that a couple weekends ago when my husband let me sleep in! So, maybe I'm on to something here. It would be AMAZING if I could get 4 oz every 3 hours. I definatly be able to keep up with her then!!

I hadn't thought about the option of adding some solid food. I had planned to hold off until she is 6 months old. But I would SO MUCH rather give her some rice cereal than formula!! That just might be the perfect option!! I'm giving myself 3 days to increase supply before we begin to supplement with something (whether it be solids, or formula). I have enough in the freezer to keep us going for 3 days, and leave enough left over to transition slowly with whatever we decide to supplement with.

Thanks so much for your advice!!!

If anyone else out there had anything to add, I'm up for anything at this point, I just want to keep it going!!!

Have you changed the membranes on the pump? Sometimes they can have tiny tears in them from washing and handling them which will affect the suction. Also, some women see a dip in their supply each month with their period and use calcium/magnesium supplements to boost it. Best of luck!
    2001 2004 2008