Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do?

Default Re: What do I do?

I think if I remeber right the cup is soft so you can sort of bend it...
    Have you tried a small paper cup like a dixie cup?
    Anything is worth a try...

Give him some time to adjust too! 6-8 weeks it might take.

IF your job is realy stressfull that might affect your pumping.

It might be ok for an older baby to go that long with out nurseing
    8-2:00
    Just expect them to want to nurse alot when you are together!

Hello,
    I can certainly identify as my son did the EXACT same thing. It is so tough...you worry that they will starve and feel so helpless. As I'm writing this, my son is 2.5, I've been back to work for over 2 years, and he's still nursing. So, there is hope!!

My son has never gotten good at taking the bottle. He is also home with my husband and we ultimately got him to the point where he would take bottles only when he was half asleep during a nap. For a couple of months when I went back to work he would drink 2-3 ounces all day if we were lucky. We got by on reverse-cycle feeding (i.e., he nursed all night!). I would nurse him the instant I walked in the door and then on demand all throughout the night. I also put him on a schedule where he would go to bed with me and sleep in, so I could nurse him as much as possible and see him as much as possible at night. This has served us very well even as he grew older because I can play with him at night. With my husband at home, he can sleep in in the morning.

Co-sleeping helped a lot because he could nurse all night with less interruption to me. It also helped me keep up my supply, since he was nursing all night.

Of course, I felt horrible that he wasn't taking the bottle at all. My mom said something that really helped. She told me that a lot of kids his age (he was 5 mths old when I went back to work) sleep through the night and don't eat all night. My son was just doing the opposite. That made me feel better.

My husband was very persistent with the bottle and finally got him to take it right after he drifted to sleep, when he was still in a light sleep. He put the bottle in warm water while he walked our son to sleep. By the time he was sleeping, the bottle would be ready and he would try. We've never gotten him to take more bottles than the number of naps he has! Right now he is down to one.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips on the pumping issue, other than to keep it up. It could be that you are just so stressed out with this that it is inhibiting your pumping. I would definitely keep trying with a good pump, which it sounds like you have.

Good luck! You will get through it, and you are a GREAT mom for trying to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    IF your job is realy stressfull that might affect your pumping.
    Thanks Andrea. My job is not really stressful, it is more of a PITA. I teach 8th grade pre-algebra and it is a really, really, really bad group of students. Put it this way, when I came back I did grades, and about 20 out of 30 in each class have D's or F's - and I'm talking 15% - 30% F not a 55% F. Out of 150 students there are only about 20 A's and B's. And this is not reflective of the sub. THis is how thier grades have been since the started 6th grade. They just don't care at all, and niether do their parents. So anyways, my job is as stressful as I want to make it - as far as me harping on them to do homework, calling parents etc. Right now, as horrible as it sounds, I am not stressing over them and their grades. At this point, there is nothing I can do to make them pass. IF they want to go to high school, they will make the decision to do their work. Anyhow, all this to say, that no, my job is not stressful, but I do think the stress of Ryan not eating and not pumping much is effecting me.

But, I just pumped on my 15 minute break. On the right breast, I used a bigger sheild and got 2 oz (with a letdown) and on the left breast, I used the smaller than normal size and got one oz. THis is more than I have pumped at all since returning to work, so this is a good sign. Maybe the herbs are kicking in. I don't know about the size, both looked the same when pulled into the breast sheild. I will play around with it more.

Here is my latest thought on getting Ryan to take the bottle. What if I dip the bottle nipple in sugar water? Maybe that will be enough to entice him to suck??? Then when he finds that he gets milk from sucking, he will continue to suck?? Any thoughts??

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Thanks Maria. We are co-sleeping and that does help, but as luck would have it, now he is sleeping better and longer without waking up to nurse as much. I think this is the only time that I wish he would NOT sleep and would eat all night!!! I guess maybe he gets his fill in the evening while I am nursing him .

What your mother said does make sense and does help. I guess if a baby can sleep all night and not eat, that is no different than not eat all day and rather eat all evening/night. Thanks.

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*henrys.mama View Post
    But, I just pumped on my 15 minute break. On the right breast, I used a bigger sheild and got 2 oz (with a letdown) and on the left breast, I used the smaller than normal size and got one oz. THis is more than I have pumped at all since returning to work, so this is a good sign. Maybe the herbs are kicking in. I don't know about the size, both looked the same when pulled into the breast sheild. I will play around with it more.

do keep playing around and trying the different size on the different breasts, i didn't set my mind on anything for at least a few days of trial and error... also did you try the rocking side to side thing, that works for me

sorry no clue on the sugar water idea, did you try the breastflow bottle? I know some poeple swear by those
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    do keep playing around and trying the different size on the different breasts, i didn't set my mind on anything for at least a few days of trial and error... also did you try the rocking side to side thing, that works for me

sorry no clue on the sugar water idea, did you try the breastflow bottle? I know some poeple swear by those
    Autumn, when you say "rock side to side" do you mean your whole body or just your breasts?

Is the breastflow bottle the Adiri one? I do have that one and he doesn't like it either.

Thanks

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Autumn, when you say "rock side to side" do you mean your whole body or just your breasts?

Is the breastflow bottle the Adiri one? I do have that one and he doesn't like it either.

Thanks
    your whole body like if you were holding the baby trying to get him to sleep or soothe him, stand up and sway from side to side, when i first came back to work i did it whenever i was standing people made fun of me for it, but ot was just a habit...

i think Adri does make the breastflow one...

ETA: I've seen some threads here on reverse cycling and i think that maybe what Ryan is doing with the nursing all night no bottle thing...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks again Autumn. I will try the swaying back and forth next time I pump. I pumped again at lunch and got another two ounces. So that is good at least.

I googled Breastflow bottle and it is not the Adiri one, but is made by First Years. I am going to pick it up this weekend and hope it works!!!

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Just wanted to update.

On Friday after work, I picked up the Dr. Brown's bottle. I didn't try it til sunday afternoon, and Ryan took the bottle like he had been doing it for years! I was so excited. This morning, I dropped the boys off at the sitters with no problems. I just called her and she said he took the bottle twice for her so far without any problems and drank 2 -3 ounces each time and took and 1.5 hour nap so far! I am sooooooooo relieved. Now I just have to start pumping enough!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Just wanted to update.

On Friday after work, I picked up the Dr. Brown's bottle. I didn't try it til sunday afternoon, and Ryan took the bottle like he had been doing it for years! I was so excited. This morning, I dropped the boys off at the sitters with no problems. I just called her and she said he took the bottle twice for her so far without any problems and drank 2 -3 ounces each time and took and 1.5 hour nap so far! I am sooooooooo relieved. Now I just have to start pumping enough!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
    That's great news mama!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.