Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do?

Default What do I do?

I am so frustrated, sad, confused, I don't know right now. I returned to work this past Tuesday and everything is going horrible right now. Ryan won't take a bottle. We have tried about 5 different bottles/nipples and as soon as it hits his lips, he starts crying/screaming. I have tried warming it up, keeping it room temp, and straight from the fridge. Nothing works. He won't take a pacifier. If I stick my pinky in his mouth, he will suck away, but as soon as I pull my pinky out and put the bottle in, he stops sucking. I have tried waiting til he drifts off to sleep, but then he just lets the bottle lay in his mouth, he doesn't suck. What do I do. He will go from 8:00 til 2:30/3:00 without eating. Dh is watching him this week and is able to bring him to me at lunch time and I nurse him, but dh goes out of town this weekend for 6 weeks and the sitter won't be able to bring him by. Is it okay for him to not nurse for that long? I have even tried using a dropper and as soon as it touches his mouth he cries. Then he cries all day, because he is so hungry, and he won't sleep, because he is so hungry! So at night, with me, he sleeps and nurses (all night long) but I don't think it is enough, because he is not having very many wet and poopy diapers.

On top of all this, when I pump, I get NOTHING!!! I tried two different double electric pumps, and I get nothing. I rented a hospital grade pump and I still get nothing. The only way I can pump any milk is if DS is nursing one side and I pump the other side. Then if he triggers a letdown, at most, I will only pump 2 oz. TOday, I pumped for 10 minutes and got just barely enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. So I used my hand to express milk and got about an ounce total from both sides. Why aren't I getting any when I pump? I know that I am not going to get a letdown from hand expressing. I am drinking enough water and started taking fenugreek, blessed thistle, alfalfa, marshmallow, and red clover. I am also drinking mothers milk tea. The very little that I am able to get pumped, gets wasted, because it is out so long trying to get Ryan to take the bottle, that we have to throw it out.

Ughh, what do I do?!!! This is stressing me out sooooo much!

and no, I can't quit my job or change my hours.

Help!
    Last edited by @llli*henrys.mama; February 19th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Default Re: What do I do?

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I know many of the moms on here will have some good advice for you. You can get through this!

Have you tried the BreastFlow bottle? I know some babies will only take this one. Here's some tips on how to get a baby to take a bottle:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

Here's some tips to help your let-down:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

Here's a herbal remedy to help with let-down:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks..._n.html#rescue

Some moms get more milk through hand-expression:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumps.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I'm assuming he is not taking a bottle for other people too then?
    Have his caregivers tried a cup, syringe, spoon feeding it to him?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My question was going to be the same as Heather's: are others trying to give him a bottle too? He won't starve, but that doesn't make the situation any better, I know. what about a medicine dropper? At least then he will see that what you are trying to give him is what he wants, just not from the same source that he would like it to be.

On the pumping- does everything fit correctly? Have you tried seeing an LC while pumping. I had the same problem and went to the LC and for me it was the actual pump but then they also gave me some great ways to help pump out more- like swaying as if I were holding ds.... and other great tools. Their help was invaluable during that stressful time.

When you say he is not producing enough wets and poppys, how many?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Try the Ameda Baby Feeding Cup. Its pretty cool and might help him take the milk more readily if he isn't stressed about the bottle.

Sorry I don't have more help. Good luck
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I'm sure the fact that Ryan won't take the bottle doesn't help the fact that your output is low!.
    The only thing I could suggest for pumping other than water, oatmeal, and the basic is breast compressions or power pumping ( 10 min on and 10 min off for an hour) and making sure the parts are replaced. I know you've done most of this already, sorry and GL
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks Monika, I will read those articles tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hls02 View Post
    I'm assuming he is not taking a bottle for other people too then?
    Have his caregivers tried a cup, syringe, spoon feeding it to him?
    Yep, dh has tried and our sitter (who will be his sitter next 6 wks) has also tried and he will not take it for anyone. we havent tried the cup or spoon, we will try this weekend. I have tried using the medicine dropper that comes with infant motrin. He just cries and spits it out or lets it dribble out. For him it is almost more important that it is coming from the source, now what he is drinking. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gabesmommy View Post
    On the pumping- does everything fit correctly? Have you tried seeing an LC while pumping. I had the same problem and went to the LC and for me it was the actual pump but then they also gave me some great ways to help pump out more- like swaying as if I were holding ds.... and other great tools. Their help was invaluable during that stressful time.

When you say he is not producing enough wets and poppys, how many?
    As far as I know, the parts are all fitting correctly. They are the same parts I used with Henry and I don't feel like my boobs have changed size much at all. How do I know though if the sheilds are the wrong size. I have not seen a LC. I will have to give them a call. As far as wets/poopy's, yesterday I had him from 2:30 on. I changed him around 6:00 and it was a little wet. Then I put him in a new diaper at around 9:00 - the old one was barely wet.
    He woke up this morning in the the 9:00 diaper and it is more wet than the others, but not nearly "full" like it should be and has been before this whole mess started. No poopy dipes for me yesterday. How do I know if he is getting dehydrated?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Try the Ameda Baby Feeding Cup. Its pretty cool and might help him take the milk more readily if he isn't stressed about the bottle.
    THanks, I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I'm sure the fact that Ryan won't take the bottle doesn't help the fact that your output is low!.
    The only thing I could suggest for pumping other than water, oatmeal, and the basic is breast compressions or power pumping ( 10 min on and 10 min off for an hour) and making sure the parts are replaced. I know you've done most of this already, sorry and GL

Yep, I've done nearly all of that. I am hoping the herbs will kick in this weekend.

THanks everyone, keep ideas coming. This SUCKS!!!! And to top it all off, I HATE my job!!!

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

So sorry you're experiencing some obstacles going back to work. Let me move this post over to our Working forum so you can get lots of replies. Hang in there!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*henrys.mama View Post
    As far as I know, the parts are all fitting correctly. They are the same parts I used with Henry and I don't feel like my boobs have changed size much at all. How do I know though if the sheilds are the wrong size. I have not seen a LC. I will have to give them a call.

this link http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx helped me out with my fit questions, I went ahead and tried the bigger size now i use a diffent size on each breast. i have to pump for at least 40 minutes at at time
    here's my thread http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...r+breastshield
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks Autumn. I will try the bigger size today, although I am not having any pain.

Does anyone know if there are negative effects from using a size too big?

Leslie (or anyone else who knows), what is the Ameda Baby feeding cup? Is there anything special about it that makes it different than just a regular cup? I found this: http://www.ameda.com/products/accessories.aspx#27

but it looks just like some Tupperware cups I have. Is this what you are talking about or is there something different? Thanks

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70