Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foregoing cereal?

Default Foregoing cereal?

DD will be 6 months old on Monday. She is happy with exclusive BF of course, but has also been showing interest in whatever I eat and is showing all of the signs of being ready for solids. Earlier this week she was showing a lot of interest in my melon smoothie (I gave her a taste with my finger which she really seemed to like...kept coming back for more! LOL). So I decided to make homemade rice cereal for her to see how she liked it. I put EBM in it to make it runny (maybe too runny?) and she did a pretty good job eating it from the spoon but didn't seem to like the taste very much!!

SO I've been thinking about just foregoing cereal and starting her on sweet potato next week. I read that starting with something sweet like sweet potato or avocado is sometimes more pleasing for BF babes. But her pediatrician says she won't be ready for fruits until after cereal?? Anyone care to shed some light on this??

I also have some cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew left over in the fridge. Has anyone fed their babies these foods first??

I've been thinking about finger-feeding her at first or maybe mixing solids very thin with EBM and letting her drink them out of her bottle (she takes a bottle only 3 times a week at daycare).

What do you ladies think??

Thanks!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Default Re: Foregoing cereal?

There is no need to start cereal first...there were some recent threads bumped about BLS (baby led solids) let me see if I can find them and I will bump them for you!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Here is some information regarding starting solids, ideas of first foods and signs of readiness. HTH!

www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    Carrie
    LLL Leader

I never gave DS cereal. He started with bananna then avacodo. Remember to wait a few days before introducing a new food.

We skipped cereal this time around. Gs first foods were fresh, cut-up avocado, banana and baked sweet potatoes. I eventually bought a box of cereal to use as a yogurt-thickener, and he HATED it. Now when he eats yogurt we just put regular granola in it.
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

We didn't use any cereal either. I tried it a couple of times, but after reading about BLW I didn't really like the idea of spoon-feeding her. Seemed so un-natural. She wasn't really into it either. So I would say go ahead and forego the cereal I believe that both the AAP and LLL say that it is unnecessary...contrary to popular belief (like many things you will find out) Just be ready with your research for comebacks when people ask you about what your baby is eating and are surprised when you tell them no cereal We started out with banana and then i think broccoli. Don't worry about feeding fruit first! I'll tell you, we do BLW and I will put broccoli, apples, and rice on her high chair tray and don't you know she will pick up all of the peices of broccoli and eat them over the other stuff! I'm not lying! Remember that breastmilk is sweet too - that's what I tell my mom when she gave me a hard time about starting with banana
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

LOTS of us skipped cereal altogether. It's not on LLL list of 1st foods, it has no real nutritional value except the iron they fortify it with and you even that iron is no where near as absorbable as iron you find naturally in foods and really it's a totally processed food. I didn't want to take my child from perfect food into the land of processed food that comes out of a box. I wanted him to go from perfect food that comes from me to the next best thing. Perfect whole unprocessed foods that come from the earth. We did BLS and did all whole uncooked and unpeeled fruits and veggies adding in things like meats and pasta around the 9-10 month point.
    Cereal is not needed.

Way too lazy for formula

BLS sounds like a plan to me for now!! I am pretty confident that if I just put some mashed up foods on her tray she will undoubtedly rub her little fingers in them and put them right in her mouth!! After reading all of your posts today I went to the market and bought some sweet potato, avocado, and bananas to experiment with over the next couple of weeks.

What's better than starting your baby out on solid foods that you like to eat too?

Thanks, ladies!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!