Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hardly any milk from ONE breast help!!

Default hardly any milk from ONE breast help!!

Yesterdayy I went to a LC and confirmed that I m not producing much milk on my left breast. My lO(6 weeks) sucks for 15 min then we weighted him and he only took 1/2oz. then switched to right breast nursed for 20min and got 3 oz. I have been feeling my left breast really really soft lately. When I breastfeed my Lo from that side (left) I don't hear him swallow that much..then he starts to become fussy..i guess because there is no much milk so i switch.
    I have no idea why i'm low in only one breast!!! any ideas...
    I also have been nursing him more often but i do not see any increase.!!!
    what else can i do..????????

Default Re: hardly any milk from ONE breast help!!

Here is a link that may help.

Most of us are lopsided to some extent, some more than others. My left side has always produced significantly less and eventually in our nursing relationship, probably around 7 or 8 months, DD stopped using it altogether. I've been nursing successfully off the right side only since then. But since your LO is so young, definitely try some of the tips in the link above!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thank You !!!

Flakita,

I could have written your post. I'm having issues with my 4 month old. OALD and OS (on my right side), fussiness, GASSY, not sleeping well. I know that pumping is never supposed to be a judge of how much milk is there, but when I pump at work (part time, but I work a 12 hour shift), I can only pump 1/2 ounce on left, and 3+ ounces on right. I have been researching, and think I need to block feed to see if this helps, but I'm wondering how I'm going to do that when my left side doesn't produce! DS2 is also starting to prefer right side and will cry sometimes when I try to latch him on my left.

Any advice from anyone about how to block feed? Will this increase supply?
    And a little history: DS1 was allergy,colic,reflux baby, weaned at 33 months but also refused my left side when he turned 1 years old. At the time I didn't know how long I'd nurse him, but turns out he nursed on my right side only until he weaned. Could this be why my supply is so low on my left side? I am also suspecting milk intolerance with DS2 as he now is developing mild eczema all over his body...

Thank you!!
    Last edited by @llli*ethansmommy; February 21st, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Anne
    SAHM to Ethan 7/22/2005
    married to my best friend Matt since 2/12/2000

block feeding is used to decrease supply in the case of oversupply.
    2001 2004 2008