Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More musings on night weaning...

Default More musings on night weaning...

My husband and I are in the process of trying to figure out how to reduce our 12-month-old's night waking /night feeding. She usually starts out in her crib and will wake up a few times before I bring her to bed and feed her (usually between 2 and 4 am). Our current strategy which we began several nights ago, involves my husband getting her when she wakes between 12 and 2 and the two of them go to the couch to sleep. If she wakes up he gets her back to sleep pretty quickly. If she wakes up between 4 and 6 and is inconsolable, then I will take her back to feed. We figure this is an easier way to deny her the breastfeeding if she is not sleeping right next to me. I am hoping that she will eventually be able to go until 6 am at least. If this doesn't seem to work in the next few weeks, we may consider the idea of just keeping her in the bed and letting her cry, while we are with her. Any thoughts on this strategy? Or advice? Thanks!

Default Re: More musings on night weaning...

You're probably going to hear a bunch of different ways to handle this, but it really depends on you. If you REALLY want to stop the night feedings, you need to stop feeding her. She physically does not need the milk at night. Takes a few days of all heck breaking loose, but it can be done. It sounds like to me that she has gotten used to being near someone to feel more secure at night. Personally, I like the separation of bedrooms (I had twins first, so didn't want to start the kids-sleeping-with-me routine), but I know it works best for some parents to have their kids near.

It sounds like there's 2 issues at play here--night waking and quasi co-sleeping? Maybe should tackle them one at a time. If you want her to sleep in her bed, then you probably should adopt a "policy" that that is where she sleeps--not on the couch, not in your bed, etc., and not give in.

Sorry, as I type this, I realize it may confuse you more! Anyone else have some advice?

Default Re: More musings on night weaning...

I JUST nightweaned my two year old. We just had her stay in her bed by herself because if either of us answered her call and told her no to nursing it just woke her up more and made her angry. But she's two and I was able to explain everything before we did that. And if she needs something else, like to go to the bathroom, she can tell us that so I'm not laying in bed wondering if she really needs me.

At 12 months, well, I tried half heartedly to stop the nightfeedings but was too tired to be consistant or firm and just caved. Again at 18 months I tried just saying no to her while she was in bed with me. Got a big scratch across the forhead that lasted a week. Then gave up. It's been going great this time. She slept through the night for the first time EVER after the second night.

Moving her around in the middle of the night is probably contributing to her waking patterns. But if you're husband is willing, try it for two weeks. If it is going to work, it will within two weeks.

Julie