Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else can I take to help? And what else can I do?

Default What else can I take to help? And what else can I do?

Currently I'm taking domperidone (a lower dose until my supply gets here, only 50mg daily but increasing to 80 or 100mg once my supply gets here) and more milk plus... I'm thinking of switching to MMP special blend or adding in goats rue to my MMP capsules. I've read alfalfa (sp?) helps... And metamucal? Should I add those in too?

DD has a tongue tie and my supply is low. I need to be better on pumping after and in between feedings. Her tongue and lip tie are being clipped next week (we have to travel to NY for it) so I'd like to kick my supply in the butt before then because I'm hoping she'll be able to nurse more effectively afterwards.

I'm currently taking 6 MMP capsules a day and domperidone. I'm not pumping like I should be... I need to start pumping after every feed but should I add a pumping in between feedings too.

DD has (undiagnosed by the ped as of yet) reflux and has slow weight gain. Her output seems to be fine... Lots of poo's and wets.

Any advice ladies? I should know how to do this... I relactated for my son... But this is a whole different ball game, trying to balance pumping around not one child, but a NB and a toddler. With him, I could pump religiously every 2 hours and every 4 at night. It's a lot harder to manage that now, especially when we are out and about... Thought I think once I get my supply there, it'll stay there for the most part without as much effot.

Thanks for any insight/advice ladies!

Default Re: What else can I take to help? And what else can I do?

Hi -

Pumping is definitely key.
    I'm not sure how bad the tie is - but DS also is tied but got gradually better on latching in the 1st month of BF'ing. He was a horrible latch at first and actually made me bleed for the first week or so. His tie I guess has stretched since then. They are reluctant to snip waiting for a speech impediment or something....Not sure I agree on the thinking, but...

My regiment for boosting milk...
    I drink sesame seed milk, fenugreek 3 pills/3X daily, blessed thistle 3 pills/3X daily and a Mother's Milk Tea in the evening for relaxation....
    Not sure if they're all doing the trick but the regiment has definitely kept DS fed while I'm at work.

I can't drink cow's milk due to DS's dairy protein intolerance, so, the sesame milk is what I drink in the morning. Also supposed to be good for colon cleansing, BONUS!!!!

I buy organic hulled sesame seeds and soak them in water overnight.
    Next day, I drain them and place a couple tablespoons in the blender with about 1 cup water, on low speed. They jump around a lot so you can slowly increase the speed as they get chewed up in the blender... then add more water and some brown sugar and blend until milky. Depending on your taste is how many seeds/how much water works for you. The milk can be fairly strong with lots of seeds. I then strain the milk into a pot and continue with another couple of tablespoons of seeds until they are all ground. I will add some of the mashed seeds to the final product since that's what's supposed to clean the colon!
    There are some variations of this....
    see other...http://www.postpartumplan.net/images..._Seed_Milk.doc

Hope this helps!
    Good luck!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Did you say how old your LO is? How long have you been on the Dom?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I didn't! She's 4 weeks.

I've been on the dom since week 2 or 3. We were doing great until she got sick and landed in the hospital for 3 days. I stopped taking everything I was taking to increase supply and on day 3 of our hospital stay, I noticed my pumping output dropped from 1.5 oz to barely a 1/2 oz. It's been a struggle since day one with this little girl! Her latch is wonky lately (it was great before the hospital stay BUT my breasts were a lot fuller and my flat nipples came out a lot easier) and my LC isn't inclined to really mess with it until after her tongue tie is clipped.

I was taking 90mg a day of dom before the hospital stay and was actually having issues with her not being able to handle the amount of milk I had. That's why I *know* that with domperidone, my supply is going to be fine but I'm so worried it's going to run out before the supply comes. I only have a few days left and chances are, it's going to be at least another week before the shipment gets here.

When is she getting her tongue clipped? Next week? And you should be getting the Dom about then too?

First, as far as nursing, I have read that a nipple shield can help with flat nipples, as well as pumping a little beforehand to draw out the nipple.

And maybe to try and give your supply a kick in the butt in the meantime you can try a power pump. 10 mins on, 10 mins off for an hour. I would do this at the same time every day for about a week. I always did it at night, when supply was generally the lowest, and it helped bring it back up.

You could try the fenugreek partnered with that. Hopefully that will be enough to get you through.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

We weaned off the nipple shield just days before she ended up in the hospital. She won't latch with it now at all! I tried when we came home because my breasts are less full and the nipple don't come out as easy and she threw a fit.

We go to NY on Wednesday. My domperidone was shipped on the 13th via airmail 7-14 days. I'm hoping it's closer to the 7 days but I'm terrified it's going to get nabbed by customs. I keep searching for someone who might be able to send me some but I can't post an ISO so I'm coming up short.

I am taking more milk plus and am trying to get my hands on the more milk special blend (with goats rue). I'm trying to drink the mothers milk tea but I don't really like it much.

The pumping thing I'm trying to figure out... She almost always empties both sides (as in, I pump nada)... My understanding is that it's not the length of stimulation, it's how often. So what does pumping after nursing get me? I should pump in between nursings for maximum stimulation, right? Pumping after nursing is painful because almost nothing comes out. As long as there is flow, it's not painful for me to pump.

Should I try power pumping twice a day? Maybe once in the AM time or early afternoon and then once in the evening?

Thank you for all of your help! I know we can get through this!

Would it be more beneficial to make ALL of my pumpings 'power pumpings'? She's nursing every 2 1/2 ish hours so I'm planning on nursing her and then pumping in between feedings. If I do 10 min on, 10 min off for 30 min in between most feedings, that should increase supply pretty quickly, right?

I think if you power pumped more than once a day your nipples might fall off!

My LC always told me to pump after a feeding because that signals that body that "baby" needs more that what it is producing. She always said at most 5 minutes. So that coupled with the power pump might be enough.

And I know it is kind of a old wives tale, but as long you are trying everything, you could throw a beer in there too. I would do that sometimes too.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

LOL!

Thanks! I don't think Im going to add anything new in... I'm just going to keep up what I'm doing and pray that the domperidone gets here this week vs. next. Friday would be a week from the date it was shipped but I'm so scared I'm going to run out and my supply is going to take a severe dip. I'm not taking a huge dose but still...

I think what I'll try to do is pump after every feeding for no more than 5 min. and also try a power pumping in the early evening.

Is manual pumping afer a feeding sufficent enough? When I'm out, I can't lug my hospital grade lactina around with me.

I don't see why manual pumping wouldn't be ok...this from a person who does lug the lactina around! Nothing like a big blue pump going with you everywhere huh? I hope your Dom gets there in time mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel