Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning b/c of problem with pregnancy?

Default weaning b/c of problem with pregnancy?

This is so difficult for me. I started having cramping and pretty heavy bleeding with my pregnancy (6-7 weeks). I went to the ER and they detected the pregnancy hormone and saw a embryonic sac. I know that nursing is fine during normal pregnancy, but in this situation I don't know what to do. When I nurse, the cramping gets more intense, partially because of anxiety, I'm sure, but also b/c nursing causes contractions.
    I can't imagine forcing cold turkey weaning on my 20 mo dd. But I also feel bad that continued nursing could be making this threatened miscarriage worse. I've become pretty devoted to the idea that dd should do most of the leading in our weaning dance, but I also want to try to be a good mom to the baby that's growing inside of me (hopefully still growing, that is.) Do you all have any links to articles on how to gently wean quickly (oxymoron, I know) If that is what I decide I'm actually starting to doubt that this pregnancy is even going to continue, and how would I feel if I had no pregnancy and had forced weaning on dd??
    This sucks.
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

Default Re: weaning b/c of problem with pregnancy?

How often are you nursing? What does your doctor suggest?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

You are in a difficult situation. Good for you for doing some research before making a decision.

Maybe something in these articles will help you come to a decision.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun95p35.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    How often are you nursing? What does your doctor suggest?
    She nurses around 4 times per day. I haven't said anything to any doctors yet because I'm afraid of what they are going to say.
    I'm leaning more toward not weaning, because I think that most miscarriages so early are because of problems with the embryo, not the mother's body. So, if the pregnancy is going to terminate on its own, weaning is not going to help and breastfeeding is not going to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mimismama View Post
    She nurses around 4 times per day. I haven't said anything to any doctors yet because I'm afraid of what they are going to say.
    I think that you should talk to your doctor about it!!! Might set your mind at ease momma. I talked to my OB about this, and she said that they don't recommend nursing while pregnant because it's hard on your hormones. But she also said that it doesn't affect the MC rate. And they are about the most traditional OB practice you can find. I was really surprised to hear this!!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

That's a tough situation, and a very personal decision to make. I understood that so long as you were ok to have sex, bf was ok, as sex (depending on how good!) involves more hormones and contractions.... Maybe just tring to cut down would be good for now, less contractions (assuming you bf more often than you have sex!) and also ensures that if you start suffering from sore nipples or low milk supply your LO isn't too shocked at the reduction?
    I hope things settle down for you soon, good luck.

Just thought I'd finish up this thread. I lost the pregnancy (in the process of losing it anyway). I'm pretty sad, but dealing with it ok.

Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens