Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will he ever take just one side or shorten his sessions?

Default Will he ever take just one side or shorten his sessions?

DS will be 4 months next week. Born at 7lb, 4 oz, down to 6lb,0oz at hosp dc, now 11lb,13oz, so 5 lb,13oz gain from lowest weight.

I can not honestly answer the question "how often does your son eat?" The only way I can answer that is to say, "He is off the breast for about 2 hours total in a day" - I have no idea at night because we co-sleep and he is on/off about 100 times during the night - I am essentially comatose from mental exhaustion at that point.

From day 1 he has been a very lazy nurser. I have seen countless IBCLC's (at a great expense) and been to LLL meetings, he has a good latch, just lazy. He has a nice suck/swallow pattern for about 1-2 minutes when he first goes on the breast, then nothing, or maybe he'll play with the nipple in his mouth, and hang out, or nap. I have to switch him to the other side to get him to suck/swallow again. Then we have to go back to the other side, and repeat, repeat, repeat. I have tried compressions, I have tried keeping him on one side for the entire time, but he will not do anything after that first 1-2 minutes except play with the nipple, or go to sleep. I have tried keeping him on the one side until he comes off himself, but after 1-1.5 hours, I usually have to take him off so I can go to the bathroom, or I get so frustrated that I just have to take him off. I have tried to keep him awake with every tactic I can. If I take him off and then try to put him back on the same side, he will fuss, pull himself off, then root and go right back on, then pull off, etc since I think he is frustrated that the flow is slow. When I take him off, I am able to express the thin milk still, so I know he is not getting the hindmilk that he needs. HOW CAN I GET HIM to take the hindmilk??? Compressions really don't seem to do all that much after 1-2 compressions.

He gets maybe 1-2 bottles a week, slow flow nipple, so I don't think that really has a lot to do with his frustration.

I can never feel a letdown, even when I pump, and when I pump, I get 2-3 letdowns in a 20 minute period. I usually get 1-2 oz total per pump if I pump 1 hour after a feed (the only time I can do this is first thing in the AM because he actually does take a nap,but the rest of the day, I am lucky if he is off the breast for 15 minutes before he wants to go back on). I try distraction sometimes to see if I can keep him off the breast for a little while, but he wants the breast ALL THE TIME!

He has 6-7 wet diapers per day, 1-3 stools every other day.

HELP!!
    Last edited by mishellyc; February 8th, 2006 at 06:21 AM.

Default Re: Will he ever take just one side or shorten his sessions?

anyone?

Default Re: Will he ever take just one side or shorten his sessions?

I'm sorry, Michelle. I think your post went unanswered because there really is no definitive answer to your question in your subject line -- all babies are different. Some babies will want to nurse almost constantly while others are happy to just eat and run. As your baby gets older, you can start putting more limits on nursing but I definately wouldn't do this until after the first year of life. I do think however, that as baby gets a bit older and perhaps starts experimenting with bites of solid food here and there, starts crawling & walking, etc. that he'll spend less time at the breast than he is now.

As for your let-down -- some women simply never feel it and that is okay!

But it sounds like your baby is doing just fine with his nursing patterns. You mentioned that you know he's not getting the hindmilk but as long as he's gaining weight & not having green, mucousy or bloody stools then he really probably is getting the hindmilk! You are doing the right thing by allowing him to nurse on demand. Do you have a sling or have you considered learning how to use one so that you can have mobility? Remember, your breasts are more than a source of food for your baby. They're also a source of comfort. Try to look at all of this as flattering! Baby prefers YOU!

I'm sorry you are so frustrated! Being a mother is hard work but it won't be too awful long before you start seeing the rewards of it all. Hang in there! You're doing a great job!