Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need energy to work

Default Need energy to work

I have been home faithfully breastfeeding my son all year (Trevor's b day is 2/16/08), while my husband has been trying to pay the bills, but we recently moved (for the 3rd time in a year and a half) so that I could go back to work (state license thing) because I can make more $. But, I can't do this without weaning my son - day and night (he's up at least 3 or 4 times at night). I simply need the energy - I'm exhausted and can't give any more of myself to anyone without a lot of R and R. My question is - which do I start first, day or night? And, what if daddy gets a job and he's not around, how do I do this by myself?

Default Re: Need energy to work

Hi there, and welcome! Are you saying that you want to night-wean your son, but still nurse him when you are together? Or do you want to wean him totally? Just wanted to mention... I work full-time, I have an 8am-5pm job, M-F, so I nurse my LO (16.5 months old) only in the evenings (bedtime) and first thing in the morning. You should know that breastfeeding doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" type thing. Just food for thought, if you want to and it works for your family, you can still nurse your LO when you are together, so complete weaning may not be necessary. You might consider starting by eliminating the sessions which seem to be causing you the most stress.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

What has worked for me when I felt I just couldn't nurse anymore was to eliminate the nighttime nursings. Once I was able to get more rest, I was happy to continue nursing.

Maybe something here will help with some ideas for you.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Arrow Re: Need energy to work

Thanks to both of you for responding already. I have been thinking about keeping at least an evening feeding, and maybe a morning feeding for awhile. Right now, I'm home full time, but hope to go back to work part time soon, so I need to wean my LO off the feedings during the hours I will be at work, though I still don't know when that will be. But, it's not just the times I will be away, it's an energy thing. Perhaps you are right, once I can get some sleep, I will probably feel a lot better. I guess I'm a little daunted about the process of getting him to sleep through the night...

A couple of things to remember, if you have been home with your son this whole time it's probably very overwhelming to think of someone else watching him. But kids adapt and they do not expect the same things from other people as they do from their mothers.
    I went back to work at the 14month point my son who had been nursing 8-12x a day all of a sudden wasn't nursing for 8-10 hours a day and he was fine. In fact he wasn't at all interested in cow's milk and I am skeptical of it being a good thing for humans ingest and I didn't push it. So all day while away from me he just drank water from his sippy and he was fine. AND even though he had always been nursed to sleep, as soon as he went over there he stated laying down in a cot and going to sleep on his own. They couldn't gt him to go to sleep in a crib which they wanted to do since he was still considered a baby, since he had never been put to sleep alone in his life, but once he was in the big kid room, with all the other kids he went to sleep fine.
    So try to to worry. You may find that once you are away from your child all day that you will really really enjoy the way nursing when you see each other, to sleep and 1st thing in the morning helps you reconnect and stay connected to your baby. I definitely felt like we both really needed it in the beginning.
    And as far as night weaning goes, you may have better success if you baby is sleeping in a separate space from you. That way they don't smell the milk and wake less often. But I also want to caution you against trying to night wean before the 1st year molars break through. They are really really painful and the need to nurse at night to cope with the pain is real and pretty intense.
    And remember, as soon as you set limits or take away session and aren't nursing "on demand" weaning has begun. So just by simply going back to work and setting limits around night time feeds you will have begun the process. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing OR an all at once "by this date" thing either. Often women get very overwhelmed with the pressure they put on themselves. Just find your job and your ideal day care situation and move from there. That will be a lot! And from there it will be easier for you to gauge exactly how much you need to cut out. And keep us posted on your progress.

Way too lazy for formula

Wow! DJsmom, thank you so much for your support! I am feeling like I am abandoning my son and I feel horrible! So, I appreciate the understanding. But, I need a change, so I have started eliminating 1 session during the day. Thank God daddy's home right now, so I have some help distracting him and feeding him something else. Tomorrow starts elimination of a 2nd session. Though I do want to get some sleep, I have decided to start with day time weaning so that I can get out of the house and use Daddy while I have him. My LO does sleep in a crib in his own room, so he's not waking because of my closeness to him - which I guess is a head start. I will definitely take my time with the night weaning, especially because of this new info on the molars - thank you!