Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated and looking for some help

Default Frustrated and looking for some help

January 26th I went back to work and the first week of pumping went well at work. I take two 15 minute breaks and then at lunch breastfeed my son. Well the following week they decided to take away the room I was using because they stated they had a lactation room. This is fine. Before using this room you have to reserve it. It so happens that this room is also the biggest conference room and so it is reserved all the time. I have been having trouble reserving the room for my pumping and was told I needed to be flexible! My thoughts are if you are going to have a lactation room then have it solely be that. I have talked to my manager and the HR and nobody is willing to work with me. Now this week and the next I have training from noon to 4:30 and yesterday I was unable to pump during that time because we only get one break and it isn't the same time everyday so this makes it impossible to reserve the room. I get home at 5:30 after picking up the children and I'm engorged. To add to it once my son sees me he thinks he needs to eat and so he's choking on the milk. I almost feel discriminated against and have been told at least once that the was the choice I made to breastfeed, maybe formula would be easier. I'm appalled by this as we all know breast is best!!! anyone with suggestions please help

Default Re: Frustrated and looking for some help

That sounds stressfull. Have you looked at some of the legal articles on here? Do you have a local LLL Leader you can be in contact with?
    Last edited by @llli*munchkin937; February 17th, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

what state are you in? and what size company do you work for? Sounds like a pretty big one and here in Oregon, they would have to provide you with something better than that. Are you unionized? They might be able to help as might DHS or whoever enforces your state's BF laws...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I work in Wisconsin at a large insurance company. I have actually contacted my pediatrician and my ob doctor so that this is all on record. Today I plan on pumping at my desk.....since I need to be creative and flexible. I warned my fellow employees already. Our desk area are L shape cubicle and so if anyone walks by it is very open. But at this point I really do not care. My baby's nutrition is more important. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

I'm so sorry to hear your having these problems...
    My company is European based and is very liberal when it comes to my pumping schedule....

But, I have to say:

Woohoo, mama!!!
    Whip it out and pump away!!!
    Do it for all of us pumping moms who try to do the very best for their families!!!

I bow to you!!!

I wish I was there to see their faces!!! or !!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I too am aplauding your boldness!!!!!!!! We find ourselves doing what we have to do to maintain our supplies and pumping schedules sometimes. And more importanty making sure our loves have their food.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

How did it go?!?!
    I'm so excited to hear this!!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Well I got the response I wanted, they couldn't believe it!!! They have provided a room (even though it does not lock) but yesterday I was interupted with people needing the room for a meeting. I left and then told the person who stated the room was available and got no where. Last night I contacted some attorney's, but most are scared to deal with it because it is a large company. But they do say I have a case. I will continue to fight and if needed I will go to the news. Employment discrimination is what they are calling it. I'm too determined to provide the very best to my child and will not be walked on.