Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation

Default Constipation

My 8.5 month old has been constipated for weeks. The poor thing strains and strains only to produce a little piece or nothing at all. He eats three solid meals a day - whole grain cereal, grated apples, bananas, avocado, and various veggies with chicken or turkey.

Everywhere I read they say to give the baby 2-4 ounces of water, but he won't even drink half an ounce. I tried bottle, sippy cup, spoon. I tried it with juice, he still won't drink. He won't drink breast milk or formula during the day either - only at night and a little bit in the morning.

We've been trying to give him prunes and they do work - when we can get them into him. He hates them! Closes his mouth shut.

We've tried beets, fresh apples. We've been adding a teaspoon of olive oil into his cereal but it only helps a bit.

The doctor told me to give him aloe vera juice with karo syrup but I've read that the latter is not safe for children under 1, just like honey. She also prescribed some allergy medication with diarrhea as a side effect but I really don't want to give it to him. I've been drinking aloe vera juice myself to pass some to him but maybe I am not drinking enough because it's not helping.

I don't know what else to do.

Wanitall

Default Re: Constipation

IDK mama, we haven't had this problem, but it sounds like he's eating a lot of solids. Maybe less solid food? Or can you feed him more "watery" things like melons, grapes etc. Also, apples are recommended for diarrhea (B-ananas, R-ice, A-pples, T-oast), so you may not want to offer them at the moment, since they firm things up. I have read that the P fruits are good for getting things going, Prunes, Pears, Peaches, Plums(same as prunes, I know, but more water).
    I would think that juice is a more gentle solution than karo syrup. Will he take a little pear or prune juice?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I have heard of the Kayro Syrup being used....in fact - my grandma used that for her babies mixed with PET milk (yes, canned milk) that was their FORMULA!! - this was MANY years ago.... she had 5 LO's she tried to BF but stopped after LO#2 so if all those babies did okay I am sure it will be okay...the Kayro was used as a laxitive since the milk would constipate....who knew??
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

I am sorry you and your LO are having some difficulties. It can be hard to watch your LO have a tough time. It sounds like you may be concerned about your LO's fluid intake. How many wet diapers is he having a day? Is his urine pale or dark? Did the doctor feel that he was getting enough fluids? You mentioned that he does not drink during the day, is he away from you during the day? Some babies refuse breastmilk from a source other than mom while she is away and then nurse much more when mom comes home or through the night, called reverse-cycling. How many times does LO nurse per day? Do you co-sleep and nurse during the night? Under 1 year of age, the majority (about 3/4) of baby's nutrition should still come from breastmilk or forumla. Solids are for learning at this point gradually making up more of the nutrition piece as baby gets older. I don't know what kind of cereals you are using, but some mothers find that rice cereal causes constipation and cutting it out brought their LOs relief. with trying some foods with a higher water content if he will not takes liquids in another way. Hope things get better soon!
    Carrie
    LLL Leader

I would definitely cut the bananas and apples out of your baby's diet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I didn't respond for so long. Had a brain fart and forgot my ID. Kept trying to log on with what I thought was right and it wouldn't tell me what's wrong.

I'll try to answer questions.

I've been away from my baby during the day for the last 4 months and he used to drink from a bottle no problem. We do not co-sleep but he nurses once in a middle of the night and once in early morning (which this night owl still considers night). I also nurse him before bed and before leaving for work but he doesn't usually eat that much then. He does scrape up 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours, including some very heavy ones from his night feedings.

I know most of his nutrition has to come from breast milk or formula but my son apparently hasn't gotten the message. He nurses well only when he is drowsy and like I said, won't drink more than 1/2 ounce out of a bottle. We always offer a bottle before solids, but he refuses and gets mad. So less solids is not an option.

We started him on cereal before 5 months because he wasn't gaining enough. Cereal is less nutritious than breast milk or formula only when it's water based. When you mix it with breast milk or formula it adds its calories on (50 in 4 tablespoons). My son liked the cereal right away and soon would eat cereal on 4 oz of bm or formula plus drink 2 oz of bm in one meal - more bm/formula than he ever consumed at once. BUT he cut the next nursing session short - even if it was after 4 hours. At 6 months we added vegetables - he loves avocados. Then another meal of cereal with some fruit. Bananas are his favorite which is why I've been so reluctant to give them up. He is seriously underweight and they are so high in calories, I can't figure out what I can replace them with. As for apples, they actually are supposed to work both ways, especially the raw ones.

As for drinking - they say to give 2-4 oz of water for constipation but there is no way to make him drink that. Same with juice. We can get it into his mouth but we can't make him swallow it, so eventually it spills out. The only thing we got him to drink willingly (and out of an open cup) is this - I pour boiling water over dried prunes (he won't eat the puree), so he drinks tiny bits of that water when is cools off.

We saw the doctor yesterday. She told me to boil the Karo syrup if I worry about those spores. Whole Foods doesn't carry it, so I haven't gotten it yet. We've also started him on Babydofilos and will offer yougurt.

Last night I went and bought those glycerine suppositories. By the time I got home, he pooped. I joke that he got scared. He's been pooping all day today. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Wanitall

I am so glad to hear that he is cleaning himself out. What a relief for both of you!

You mentioned that refusing the bottle is a recent phenomenon. Is the nursing well only when drowsy fairly recent as well? Could he be teething or coming down with something making sucking uncomfortable? Maybe some tips used during a nursing strike may be helpful? There are some causes listed for reluctance to nurse and some tips. You will know if anything sounds right to you. www.llli.org/FAQ/strike.html

The prune water is very clever! You are a very creative mama and are doing great for your LO! I hope things turn around and he starts being more regular and drinking more for you.
    Carrie
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLCarrie View Post
    I am so glad to hear that he is cleaning himself out. What a relief for both of you!

You mentioned that refusing the bottle is a recent phenomenon. Is the nursing well only when drowsy fairly recent as well? Could he be teething or coming down with something making sucking uncomfortable? Maybe some tips used during a nursing strike may be helpful? There are some causes listed for reluctance to nurse and some tips. You will know if anything sounds right to you. www.llli.org/FAQ/strike.html

The prune water is very clever! You are a very creative mama and are doing great for your LO! I hope things turn around and he starts being more regular and drinking more for you.
    Well, he was pooping 5 times a day for two days (normal poop, not loose), so yesterday I gave him a banana again - he just loves them so-o much, can eat 1/2 of a banana with a 4 oz bm based cereal. Today he was straining again, so no more banana (can't get any other fruit into him in any significant quantities ).

Refusing the bottle is not that recent. He gradually reduced the amount he drinks from a bottle to almost nothing as more solids were introduced. He gets about 8 oz of bm/formula during the day with his cereals. Nursing well only when drowsy is an even older phenomenon - he's been that way for months. At this point it is like - it's not a nursing strike, it's a drinking strike (I've read about those).

The success with prune water was short lived. He refused it the next day. I just bought him another sippy cup - the kind where you can take the valve out. That worked for my eldest son (now 13).

Thanks,

Wanitall