Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am so sad!

Default I am so sad!

My milk is just about gone. It happened so fast! Just a few days ago, I was able to get enough milk for her. Now...not even close. Since 6 am I have only been able to get one once. My left breast has almost stopped completley. It is breaking my heart. She won't have any mommy milk tomorrow at daycare. She is 15 months old, I had always hoped to nurse until she was ready to stop, now this stupid cold is doing a number on my milk. I don't take anything for the cold, just zinc and viatimin C. I started taking Fenugreek this morning, This sucks!! I am so sad!

Default Re: I am so sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Hbsmomma
    My milk is just about gone. It happened so fast! Just a few days ago, I was able to get enough milk for her. Now...not even close. Since 6 am I have only been able to get one once. My left breast has almost stopped completley. It is breaking my heart. She won't have any mommy milk tomorrow at daycare. She is 15 months old, I had always hoped to nurse until she was ready to stop, now this stupid cold is doing a number on my milk. I don't take anything for the cold, just zinc and viatimin C. I started taking Fenugreek this morning, This sucks!! I am so sad!
    Hello Hbsmomma
    I was curious about your situation, because it is almost unknown for milk to SUDDENLY disappear - it usually takes quite a while! In fact, you WERE able to pump an ounce, so it has not all gone! I looked at the other posts you have written in other fora and threads over the past few days to see if there were any clues. Please let me know if I have got this right

It seems that you thought you were pregnant, but then your period came over a week late. After that, your daughter had a really bad cough, *barking like a dog,* and then YOU got a bad cold. Soon after that, you told us that your milk supply was down, and now, you were unable to pump anything this morning

I have some questions for you:

*Is your daughter still nursing?
    The reason I ask is that even if you cannot pump any milk, SHE may still be able to get it out!
    Yes, it does sound like your supply is down, but you CAN get it back up again.

*Are you drinking enough? When you have a cold, you need extra fluids to wash away the infection and keep yourself well-hydrated. It will also make you feel better.

*Are you resting enough? Again, having a bad cold can do a number on you, and you need extra rest. Can you take a day or two off work?

*Are you eating well? When we don't feel well we often can't be bothered to cook and sometimes our appetites go down. Maybe you can nibble on fruit and cheese and crackers and soup. You need to keep up your strength!

The most important thing is to keep offering to nurse. Many working mothers stop pumping during the day after a year, but continue nursing whenever they are home. While you are away, your daughter can drink other fluids from a cup and eat solids.

I do hope that you are feeling better soon.
    Please let us know if these suggestions were helpful.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Default Re: I am so sad!

My period ended up being about 10 days late. She is still sick and is on medication, (QVAR and albuteral). I am drinking enough, I think, I never really feel thirsty. I was able to get about 3.5 oz out by waking up to nurse or pump every three hours yesterday and through the night. I think the combination of the baby being sick, me being sick, and the stree of it all is what is causing the low supply. I am doing what I can to get it back though. I am also thinking of renting a pump to replace mine, I have been using it for a year now, and maybe the stronger hospital grade pump will pick up my milk. This happened almost a year ago when the baby was hospitalized. She hadn't nursed for 3 days, finally the nurses at the hospital gave me a Lactina Select, at first got hardly any milk, but over the two weeks she was in the hospital I used the pump and got it back up to close to where it was before.

Keeping my fingers crossed, and taking your advice to sleep, sleep, sleep!
    I am at work now...but I'm going home soon!
    Thanks!