Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help! Can I start BF again?

Unhappy Please Help! Can I start BF again?

Hi guys! So here's my question...

When my DS turned 3 months old I got sick and was forced to take a medication for 10 days that forced me to stop nursing my baby (I was very upset... anyway...) I tried to pump to keep my milk flow up but it didn't work. When I started nursing again it was so hard and I still have not been able to catch up (He is 4 1/2 months now). So I do what I can... 2 small feedings during the day (before he eats cereal) and 1 pretty good feeding at around 6am. The rest is formula. I even tried that herb Fenugreek, but all that did was make me smell like maple syrup (weird I know).

I have been using Playtex Nurser bottles bc the are low flow and I read pretty good for babies who are still nursing. Recently I have come to grips that I can't keep up the little nursing I do. He isn't getting much at all, and I am on the "mini BC pill' you take while nursing and I am afraid I will get pregnant or something bc I am not nursing enough... know what I mean? I still haven't gotten my period, but I am still nervous about it.

OK... so back to my question (I guess I have a lot on my mind about this!)... If you have any suggestions about getting my milk back full force for nursing I am wide open for ideas. I have been pretty sad about the whole thing. Oh and as a side note... even before I got sick DH and I talked about supplementing formula bc it seemed like he wasn't getting enough BM anyway.

Anyway.. thanks for listening!!

Lauren

Default Re: Please Help! Can I start BF again?

Lauren,
    It is absolutely possible for you to increase your supply, especially since you've been nursing all this time. In fact, many women often stop breastfeeding altogether only to regret that decision and go back to breastfeeding. Other mother's, such as adoptive mother's are even able to provide breastmilk for their adopted babies!

Fenugreek should've made you smell like maple syrup so you were probably taking enough of it. Perhaps you weren't pumping or nursing enough to have it help you though? Although it doesn't work for everyone either.

Breastfeeding works on the basic premise of supply and demand. Baby provides the demand and your body supply's the milk. So, you'll need to increase the demand on your body if you want to make more milk. Have you visited the Relactaction and Induced Lactation forum here at this site? You can get lots of great info there.

I have to go right now but for now I wanted to give you some encouragement and a non-LLL approved resource for relactation/increasing your supply: Increasing Low Milk Supply & here's one about inducing lactation for adoptive babies (not your situation but much of the info will be important for you) -- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/rel...resources.html

Hope this helps for now. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you need more help!

Default Re: Please Help! Can I start BF again?

Thank You So Much For The Encouraging Words. I Am Going To Look Into The Websites You Suggested And See If I Can Get Something Going Here. I Appreciate Your Support And Information!!

Thank You...
    Lauren