Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm ready to get the process started!

Default I'm ready to get the process started!

My plan was to BF until 12months and then slowly wean. However I have been done for a good month now. Well ready to be done... I'm fed up. I thought it would pass and I gave it time but I'm really unhappy everytime I need to sit down and nurse. I'm sick of nursing 6+ times a night, I'm sick of nursing her to sleep for naps. I'm just plain tired of it. And since I have felt this way for over a month now I don't think it's going away.
    So I'm ready to start. But I don't know where to begin.

DD is 11 months. She can't drink formula or cows milk because it makes her throw up (well I assume cows milk would, formula and yogurt do). She refuses to drink soy formula, soy milk, rice milk and sweetened vanilla rice milk. She drinks some water but not a lot. So I cannot just replace a nursing session with a bottle. She will drink watered down apple juice sometimes but not always and I'd rather she drink water than juice anyway.

So this is what I was thinking. Please tell me if this is a good start and please help me figure out what the next step would be. I do want to do this kindly, at least as kindly as possible.

DD eats 3 meals a day and sometimes a snack. So I was thinking of increasing that and adding another snack (or two?) so that I am sure she is getting more nutrients. I fully expect this process to take months so by the time I am done she will be over a year old.

Also I don't know how to just drop a nursing session. It sounds simple but it's not. If I have nothing to replace it with how do I just drop it? Give her a snack then? Distract her?

Will she start being more interested in drinks/fluids when I start reducing her milk? I'm afraid she'll get dehydrated if she doesn't drink more water or anything to replace the milk.

My husband suggested I start pumping and bottle feeding... wean her from the breast but not the milk and then wean from the milk later. Is this a better option?

Please help!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: I'm ready to get the process started!

Are you dropping night nursing sessions first? Or do you have a preference?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

do you co-sleep?
    sometimes putting some distance between mom and baby helps.
    Then when you have cut back on some of the night feeding you might feal beter about nursing in general!

I'd like to start with night feedings yeah. But I think they'll be the harder ones! DH tried putting her down last night because I went out. He managed to get her down at 8 but she woke at 9 and would not sleep again until I got home and nursed. We co-sleep half the night. I guess I'll start by putting her to sleep and then back in her crib rather than bringing her to my bed. Maybe it will help.
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Sometimes the farther away she is from you the less likely she will be to smell you and want to nurse I've heard mom's on here talk about it's easier to wean after baby is in a crib/toddler bed. It can't hurt to try

In the middle of the night dh can't console ds. Ds wants me and that's it. Sometimes though, he'll tuck into me and I'll pat his back and he'll go to sleep without nursing. I haven't been consistent with it though, because to be honest it's easier to just stick my boob in his mouth especially when I'm tired.

I also read (I'm going to go and find the link and post it in a few) that dropping one session every week or two is a good way to go.

ETA: Here's the link: http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/...g/weaning.html Some not-so-good advice there as well . . .
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; February 15th, 2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks. We're definitely going to start transitioning her to her crib full time. I might start by putting a time limit on it (no coming into our bed before 3am or something).

I'll check out the link.
    Amanda

Nursing is so weird, sometimes you resent it so much and then you're back to loving it again. I know how you feel, I went through lots of really hard times too.

Okay at 11 months how is she eating solids? You don't really need to replace BM with formula or CM at this point. If she's eating solids really well you can just start replacing with a sippy cup and food.

Start dropping the sessions where they are already short. The last ones to go are bedtime and nap. Usually the mid-morning mid-afternoon are the easiest. Try just dropping one, instead of nursing give a fun snack instead.

While you're transitioning if you feel like pumping and giving BM in a bottle certainly go for that. Perhaps you might keep pumping for a while longer if it keeps your sanity. Can your husband help out a night and give a bottle of BM while you catch up on your sleep?

See how she reacts to dropping one nursing session first. If it goes over well then drop another one. If you start dropping them one session per week at a time then you be very close to weaning in about 6 weeks!!! And you might discover (like I did) once you reduce the times you're nursing you may enjoy the ones you have left and keep those around for a while. There are many benefits for nursing past the age of 1.

Keep up the good work momma, and keep us posted on the weaning process. It is an emotional decision for sure.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

For us (ds2 and I) we worked on night weaning first. Once I was able to get a decent amount of sleep I felt much happier about daytime nursing. Ds2 was an all night nurser (every hour and a half) so I thought it would be difficult. I decided he could nurse to initially go to sleep then just cuddle if he woke back up before midnight. If he wouldn't accept cuddles and got to acting upset I would nurse. We worked our way through the night moving the time gradually back more and more until he was sleeping through the night.

I did the same thing with daytime nursings. It helped me to stay focused and to have something to tell ds as in "No meemee until after lunch."

I would ask if he was thirsty and offer a drink of water if he was asking to nurse. I would also try distractions. We read lots of books and piggy back rides. (that way he was still getting physical contact and attention from me).

IMHO I would not give her BM in a bottle at 11 months. I would offer it in a sippy cup.

Also, if you haven't read the book "How Weaning Happens" I would read that. It was very helpful for me.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Thank you for the responses ladies.
    She's eating solids fairly well now. Some days better than others. But she eats at least three meals a day and usually one snack as well. I have trouble getting her to drink out of a sippy cup though. I have those nuby soft nipple ones and she just chews on it rather than sucking on it. She'll drink out of a bottle though.

I'm going to focus on night weaning for now. I'll continue to let her nurse during the day the same. Perhaps you ladies are right and after I night wean I'll feel better about the other nursing sessions.
    Amanda