Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to give a bottle...

Default Re: When to give a bottle...

One of the moms on here sent me 3 preemie books she read. They are full of great info.

I guess for me the issue is that he's just starting to get the hang of nursing and I don't want to derail that by introducing another nipple but the sooner he drinks from a bottle efficiently the sooner he gets to come home (and when he breathes on his own too). So I was wondering if I should hold off on the bottles for like a week longer to help him get better at nursing before starting the bottle. The feedings he gets a bottle for I am not allowed to offer him the breast which bums me out. I guess I wish they would say he can just nurse and if he's doing well with it I can supplement his feedings with a syringe until he's strong enough to take all his feedings from breast. Nursing him is the only thing that just I can do for him...it's hard to have so many other people caring for my baby...
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    One of the moms on here sent me 3 preemie books she read. They are full of great info.

I guess for me the issue is that he's just starting to get the hang of nursing and I don't want to derail that by introducing another nipple but the sooner he drinks from a bottle efficiently the sooner he gets to come home (and when he breathes on his own too). So I was wondering if I should hold off on the bottles for like a week longer to help him get better at nursing before starting the bottle. The feedings he gets a bottle for I am not allowed to offer him the breast which bums me out. I guess I wish they would say he can just nurse and if he's doing well with it I can supplement his feedings with a syringe until he's strong enough to take all his feedings from breast. Nursing him is the only thing that just I can do for him...it's hard to have so many other people caring for my baby...
    I know or can imagine how you feel, its hard to accept other people are caring and taking desitions for your own child. I went through that for many, many weeks.... I didnt have another sibling to look for so my time at the NICU was prety much 24/7, so I kind of see that they really care and want the best for all the little ones there.... I beleive that caring for a premmie is a team work, they have the knowlege, but you have the love, patient, compasion and all the baby needs from his mother. You are doing more then allowing him to nurse, you are showing him that mommy is there for him, that mommy is right next to him, and cant wait for him to go home to his family. He knows you. he recognize your voice, your smell, and loves when you are there. You can actually see how better he gets when you are around.
    If he is getting the bottle and you notice that he is refusing the breast, dont worry, pump by hand a little bit of milk and let him taste, he will know how to nurse. its a human instint and if I am not mistaken babies develop the sucking instint at 34weeks....... Mama you are wonderful. He is doing so great. Bless you both.....

lulu.mom, thanks for reminding me I do have a special role in his life - I needed that.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    lulu.mom, thanks for reminding me I do have a special role in his life - I needed that.
    glad to hear it makes you feel better. After all there is only 1 mother . The storm will pass and Owen will be home soon... you will see...