Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Selma Hayek Inspired A Nutrition Question....

Question Selma Hayek Inspired A Nutrition Question....

As we all know by now, Selma Hayek breast fed a baby in Serria Leone whose Mother had no milk. This newborn at only 1 week old was at risk for malnutrition. I was stunned at her generosity and it warmed my heart.

Selma Hayek's baby is one year old now (apparently her daughter and this baby share birthdays). So it inspired a question regarding nutrition....

If our milk adjusts nutritionally for the age of our babies, how can a woman whose baby is 1 year old, provide the proper nutrition for a newborn at the same time? I'm sure that it's still very nutritious but I'm a little confused. As well, DH was asking why I'm building a stash if the nutrition of the milk now won't be the same for LO later. I tried to explain that it isn't THAT different, but it kind of left me wondering myself.

LLL Leaders?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Selma Hayek Inspired A Nutrition Question....

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJulAug95p53.html

heres a LLL article about wet nursing and cross nursing you might like to read.

breastmilk is much beter then supliments of formula plain and simple, doesn't matter how old baby is.

heres dr sears page that compairs breastmilk with formula.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp