Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Resolve is Waning

Default My Resolve is Waning

Here we are, on day 9 of what I think is a strike. DS has been teething, and he started biting again. He'll nurse when he's asleep only. If he's awake, he bites. He'll ask to nurse, I'll offer the breast, he'll latch on and suck for a few seconds, and then he bites hard and pulls away and cries. It's heartbreaking to know that he wants to nurse but won't continue once he's bitten me. I've tried telling him "no bite," ending the nursing session and trying again later, acting like nothing is wrong (even though it hurts so badly)--nothing gets him back on the breast without the biting, pulling off, and crying. I'm at my wits end because I don't know what to do. If he wants to wean, it's ok with me as long as he's happy with not nursing. But, he clearly wants to nurse but won't. Trying to nurse when he's awake leaves us both frustrated and upset. And the biting certainly isn't helping either. I find myself not wanting to offer to nurse because I'm afraid of the biting. I'm dismayed with myself for not wanting to offer to nurse and for not knowing how to fix this problem. I don't know, maybe he just wants to torture me by weaning the hard way, with lots of tears and biting. This is so not what I wanted our toddler nursing adventures to be like.

Default Re: My Resolve is Waning

I'm sorry It does sound like he's frustrated about something. Do you think b/c of the teething it's painful for him to nurse and so he gets frustrated and bites?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Ouch momma, so sorry you are having problems.

What have you tried to ease the teething pain?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I'm so sorry mama! I don't have any experience with this, but I just wanted to give you a .
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    Do you think b/c of the teething it's painful for him to nurse and so he gets frustrated and bites?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    What have you tried to ease the teething pain?
    Tylenol, orajel, cool wash cloths, different positions, him being awake, him being half asleep, trying to nurse in different areas of the house, skin to skin contact (my boobs act like a repellent for him, and he runs away and won't even look at me)....Nothing is working to stop the biting.

Also, I thought that my supply was down and that maybe that was why he was biting. I tried breast compressions to keep the flow going after letdown. He still bites, during letdown and with compressions.
    Last edited by @llli*milkface; February 15th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.