Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 months old - have questions!

Default Re: 9 months old - have questions!

you can try plain brown rice to self feed, instead of the cereal if that makes you more comfortable then cold cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I don't think you should be at all concerned about your child's diet. According to my pediatrician, until the first birthday solids are for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They are not necessary for nutrition, because breastmilk provides all your child needs.
    That's what DS's doc says, too. He says that food starts out as a game, to learn about eating, rather than for nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rorysmom View Post
    My perspective is that she is getting what she needs right now from me. She will eat plenty of food when the time is right.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rorysmom View Post
    The doctor also mentioned giving Rory about a 1/2 cup of Cheerios every day. When I asked if there were a more natural alternative she said No! Surely that's not true. By the way, this is the same doctor that fed her own children jarred food. I make my own baby food. I think she already considers me a bit different. The dr. also suggested adding SUGAR or SALT to some food to make it more palatable for Rory. That cannot possibly be a good idea, right?
    There are definitely "o"s made out of whole grains with no sugar, if you want to go that route. DS's "cereal" for snacking is actually organic puffed corn (yep, only one ingredient). Refined sugar is a terrible idea! Why would you want your LO to cultivate a taste for overly sweet (or overly salty) foods, when those are generally the least healthy foods possible?

Silverware can be frustrating, especially if Rory is independent-minded. DS didn't like it until quite recently, when his coordination got good enough to be able to use them competently. Until then, it was all finger foods. I would urge you to consider trying BLS (Baby Led Solids). I will bump a few threads for you to check out.

You're doing great! Follow your "mama gut" and don't push things.

P.S. It's a little messy, but an early fave was brown rice cakes. DS still loves them, although now he wants a whole one at once instead of a quarter!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for the bumps!
    Rory was born on May 20, 2008.

We love cloth diapers!

every moment I can!
    while at work!

Loving Bedsharing, though I swore I'd never do it.

The PPs have already said most everything I wanted to say. My DD didn't take to solids hardly at all (she may have ingested a tablespoon of food at most per day) until after she was 1. Now she's an eatin' machine :LOL! BM is definitely all your LO needs right now, and even if she doesn't start "practicing" with solids until later, she'll still figure it out. My ped worries me to death with all kinds of crap, but one of the things she kept pressuring was to feed DD solids for practice...as if if she didn't get it down before her 1st birthday she'd never figure it out . Now it's to make sure she's drinking enough whole milk and eating peanut butter. She thinks I'm nuts for wanting to wait until 2 for PB .