Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 months old - have questions!

Default 9 months old - have questions!

Okay, so Rory had her 9 month check-up yesterday. Dr. mentioned cutting down her nursing sessions to about 3 per day so that she will take in some more solids. Does this seem right to you? When she asked about Rory's sleeping patterns, I did admit that she sleeps with me and has access to my breasts throughout the night. The dr. said that was fine. I feel like I'm getting mixed messages! Should I really stop nursing on demand? By the way, I'm a working mom so I really, really, really treasure the times I can nurse her. (I'm still pumping twice a day every day at work.)

I guess I was a bit quiet after she said this because when the dr. left the room, my husband kind of patted me on the back and told me that everything will be okay, Rory can nurse for quite a while longer. I'm so glad that he knows and understands how important my nursing relationship with Rory is to me and her.
    Rory was born on May 20, 2008.

We love cloth diapers!

every moment I can!
    while at work!

Loving Bedsharing, though I swore I'd never do it.

Default Re: 9 months old - have questions!

you know your baby best.

Doctor dosen't!
    No need to cut back on feeds to give baby solids.
    Your milk has beter fats for baby then any solids you could give baby!

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

this link might help also

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html

and check out dr sears web site he has lots of great info on feeding kids

Doctors sometimes suggest cutting down on breastmilk because they ASSUME that everyone wants to wean by one year . If you want to continue to nurse your baby past a year, cutting down on nursing sessions will work against you. If you plan to let your baby self ween as a toddler, Kellymom.com suggest that at 12 months a baby should be getting 75 percent of nutrients from breastmilk, at 18 months getting 50 percent of nutrients from breastmilk, and at 2 years 20 percent of nutrients from breastmilk. Here's the link: how much should my toddler be getting. These are just guides, as you know your baby best. Trust your "mama gut" and do what feels right
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Both dr. and DH are well aware that I plan to let Rory wean herself...someday. I don't want to wean her even though I would like to get pregnant again. Nursing Rory is that important to me. Your comments have made me feel better. Thank you! (And I welcome any other suggestions and comments, too.)

We love cloth diapers!

every moment I can!
    while at work!

At that age baby should be getting most nutrition from BM so I have no iea what doc was talking about! You are not doing anything wrong and I think you should continue to feed on demand. JM2C
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I've never heard of dropping nursing sessions in favour of solids for a baby under a year. Your milk is more nutrient dense than anything else you can offer her. Did the doc say why she wanted baby to get more solids? Doesn't make sense to me either
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Well, Rory is just not that into solids yet. It took her quite a while to not scream at the sight of a spoon. I think the doctor is worried that she won't ever get used to solids by the time she hits a year. I don't know. My perspective is that she is getting what she needs right now from me. She will eat plenty of food when the time is right. I feel so conflicted. The doctor also mentioned giving Rory about a 1/2 cup of Cheerios every day. When I asked if there were a more natural alternative she said No! Surely that's not true. By the way, this is the same doctor that fed her own children jarred food. I make my own baby food. I think she already considers me a bit different. The dr. also suggested adding SUGAR or SALT to some food to make it more palatable for Rory. That cannot possibly be a good idea, right? Then I explained that Rory doesn't hate the food, just the spoon! I feel like I've been fighting the mainstream from day one. I feel worn out and about ready to give in. Help!

By the way, here are the foods Rory has has so far:
    avocado - HATED it; I will try again when she's older
    banana - seemd to like the taste but hated the texture
    sweet potato - starting to like it a little bit
    carrots - likes them okay
    green peas - her favorite
    apples (organic Gala) - likes them
    water - LOVES, LOVES, LOVES as long as she sips from a cup, not a sippy cup

Any suggestions as to what I should try next? I have two books to help me: Whole Foods for Babies & Toddlers and Super Baby Food.

Also, her DCP said that she will need to learn to drink out a sippy cup before she goes to the next class. Any suggestions about how to teach her to do that? (I can understand their perspective; having a bunch of little kids sipping from cups would get quite messy.)
    Last edited by @llli*rorysmom; February 14th, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

We love cloth diapers!

every moment I can!
    while at work!

I don't think you should be at all concerned about your child's diet. According to my pediatrician, until the first birthday solids are for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They are not necessary for nutrition, because breastmilk provides all your child needs. After 1 year, don't be surprised if your baby still eats mostly breastmilk: the transition from needing only mama's milk to a majority-solids diet is a gradual one. I don't think my kid was eating more than a spoonful or two of solid food until she was 14-15 months old, and I never saw any negative effects- she's a good eater, not unusually picky, always in the higher percentiles for height and weight, could recognize the entire alphabet by age 2, etc.

Since your daughter doesn't like the spoon, there are a few things you can do if you want her to take more solids:
    1. Give her a spoon for each hand so she has something to play with while you feed her.
    2. Load a spoon up with food and hand it to her- she may decide to put it in her mouth!
    3. Skip the spoons and allow your baby to feed herself (Baby-led solids). Just put a variety of healthy foods on her tray and allow her to experiment. Eventually she will put something in her mouth!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    Doctors sometimes suggest cutting down on breastmilk because they ASSUME that everyone wants to wean by one year . If you want to continue to nurse your baby past a year, cutting down on nursing sessions will work against you. If you plan to let your baby self ween as a toddler, Kellymom.com suggest that at 12 months a baby should be getting 75 percent of nutrients from breastmilk, at 18 months getting 50 percent of nutrients from breastmilk, and at 2 years 20 percent of nutrients from breastmilk. Here's the link: how much should my toddler be getting. These are just guides, as you know your baby best. Trust your "mama gut" and do what feels right

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rorysmom View Post
    Well, Rory is just not that into solids yet. It took her quite a while to not scream at the sight of a spoon. I think the doctor is worried that she won't ever get used to solids by the time she hits a year. I don't know. My perspective is that she is getting what she needs right now from me. She will eat plenty of food when the time is right. I feel so conflicted. The doctor also mentioned giving Rory about a 1/2 cup of Cheerios every day. When I asked if there were a more natural alternative she said No! Surely that's not true. The dr. also suggested adding SUGAR or SALT to some food to make it more palatable for Rory. That cannot possibly be a good idea, right? Then I explained that Rory doesn't hate the food, just the spoon! I feel like I've been fighting the mainstream from day one. I feel worn out and about ready to give in. Help!
    There is so much in this post I want to respond to but the part I bolded the above Mama already answered. The wording of the AAP and the ACTIONS surrounding those words are not the same. The actual recommendation is to nurse baby for AT LEAST a year. Which is the MINIMUM amount of time a child should receive breastmilk. But the AAP's action in terms of recommendations seems to assume that children will be weaned by their 1st B-day When what's best is true weaning to solids shouldn't even begin until then. A child should NOT be getting most of their nutrition at the year point from solid foods. That is when the transition should begin. And it goes easier if the child has been "practicing" for some months before.
    Cheerios are actually pretty decent in term of very very low sugar to begin with and being a grain. They make Trader O's and WF carries Organic Cherrios that are actually from Kellogs so you do have some choices. But really I encourage you to let her play with these in the morning and any other time you want a half hour break. They keep kids busy, are junkie in terms of food and they get lots of practice self feeding. Which based on your posts regarding your childs Spoon aversion, makes me think you may want to look into BLS. It sounds like she would probably do much better controlling her own intake.
    I would NOT recommend adding sugar or salt to ANY FOOD for a nine month old. In fact, you should avoid foods with salt altogether in children under a year as they can not yet process salt. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula