Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should I pump?

Question How long should I pump?

I have been using the Medela Pump in Style since returning to work a few weeks ago. I usually pump 3 times a day. My left breast easily empties in 10-15 minutes. My right breast continues to express milk for 25 minutes, sometimes longer. Do I need to continue pumping each session until my right breast empties? This adds considerably to my pumping time. However, I am worried about reducing my supply or a plugged milk duct if I do not try to empty it as much as I can.

Default Re: How long should I pump?

I have had good and bad pumping times since the birth of ds 9 months ago. Sometime I am great at it and sometimes not... I would try to manually express the milk on the full side after you are done pumping, start at the top by your armpit and rub down, gently, I seem to get a lot more milk that way, sometimes even while I pump I will do that and it seems to help. Good Luck! Pumping takes patience and practice, good job for sticking to it!

Default Re: How long should I pump?

I have used the double pumping symphony Medela and this was the case for me. The left breast was empty in 10 mn and the right needed 20 mn.

I think that you should stop pumping until each breast should be empty. Do you have double pump ?