Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: selling breast milk?!!

Default Re: selling breast milk?!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    I would bet that moms who donate their milk to a specific individual receive some kind of compensation, even if it is not "paying for the milk". I just couldn't imagine anyone giving me milk for my baby and me giving them nothing in return. I'm sure it happens, it just can't be a large organization that runs the whole thing or people would find out.

Do milk banks give storage supplies to moms? Like milk bags and stuff?
    In Canada, people give blood for free. I know my Dad used to line up at the donor clinics in our town when I was growing up. I think most people just want to help.
    Unfortunately, our milk bank(s) here are very small and not very well publicized. If I was pumping and able to produce more than I needed I would be ecstatic to donate! I have already discussed the possibility of pumping for a gay couple who are my best friends, when they have a baby via surrogate (if the surrogate can't or won't do it).
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Believe it or not, not everybody out there is looking for something in return all the time. I believe in humanity a little more than that!
    I wasn't suggesting that mom's who donate are looking for something in return, I was just saying they probably get little thank you gifts when donating directly to a family. Like the paper boy at christmas...
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

i can't see why anyone would think that selling or donating your breast milki is wrong or unethical. 20 -30 years ago , there were such things as wet nurses , so that is essentially the same thing..... feeding one child someone elses milk. i myself have used my friends breast milk b/c she has a lot of it and there are times that i just can not seem to be able to pump any.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with breastmilk donation, selling it is the only thing that would be unethical/illegal.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I never even knew donating milk was an option! I have oversupply, and I'm worried it will get out of hand when I return to work. I think I'll look into this so I have something to do with all of the excess milk. It always seemed like such a waste to throw it away, and I've had to do that a few times already!
    Love my baby boy born 3/5/2009
    Earn gift cards and prizes with Swagbucks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sh0rtchica View Post
    I never even knew donating milk was an option! I have oversupply, and I'm worried it will get out of hand when I return to work. I think I'll look into this so I have something to do with all of the excess milk. It always seemed like such a waste to throw it away, and I've had to do that a few times already!
    Yes, donate it! There are a couple links in my signature for starting points.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine